Problems with text flow around image. (Scribus 1.4.7 on Windows 7) - new user

Previous topic - Next topic

vondemhund

Problems with text flow around image.  (Scribus 1.4.7 on Windows 7) - new user

Hello, and apologies if this is a FAQ.

I'm almost embarrassed to be posting this question, because up till last night, I thought I had this sussed out.
I learned how to flow text round a complicated shaped image through Kevin Pugh's (old but v.good) Youtube tutorials, if you know them (he was using an older Scribus, but still basically ok)

I'd successfully flowed my text around a "circular" image, and was feeling quite proud of myself.

However, I then wanted to  produce a 2-sided "flyer" version of the A4 poster I'd just created, adding a bit more info and different photos.

The photos were square, and I assumed it would be a piece of cake to get the text to flow around them, and was surprised when it wasn't. The images happen to be "transparent" .png's, but I don't think it's the transparency that can be causing the problem. I tried all 3 options in the "shape" menu for the image, i.e. frame, bounding box, and contour, but none of them worked. The text just went behind the image, semi-visible because of the transparency, but obviously not the effect I was going for.

For the time being, as I needed the flyers PDQ, I've just separated the images from the text, which is "ok", but not as neat looking as I'd hoped for.

Are there any obvious things I could be missing here?
Did I need to link or group the image to the text? I don't remember doing that in my previous (successful) attempt at this kind of thing (though my memory could be faulty).

I should say that at first, I had the text and the images on different levels. (EDIT: I mean "layers"!)
I tried moving them to the same level, but it didn't change the effect I was seeing. (EDIT: "layers" here too).

I should say that I've found Scribus pretty good, as a new user, although it was a bit of a steep learning curve (but the learning curve for GIMP was even steeper - I had to learn that more or less at the same time, to figure out transparent images).

BTW, I notice people seem to talk a lot about the 1.5.x versions of Scribus. As a new user, I thought I'd be better off with a "stable" version. Would it be worth trying a  development version?

(Just had a quick look at the download page, and I see it's possible to have 1.4.x and 1.5.x installed in parallel - sounds like it might be worth trying that).

Thanks in advance for any ideas, thoughts, suggestions.   :-)

utnik

there's no text flow around an image, when the text is on top of the image.
always keep text on a lower level (even on the same layer) than the objects it should flow around... 
utnik

vondemhund

Quote from: utnik on June 19, 2018, 12:10:34 PM
there's no text flow around an image, when the text is on top of the image.
always keep text on a lower level (even on the same layer) than the objects it should flow around... 
utnik

Ah...I wonder if that's what I was trying to do.

I tried it again today in a completely new document, with sample text and some random images, and it worked fine.

Yes, come to think, I almost certainly did place the images first, and then the text, in the original document.

OK, thanks very much for your reply.