Can I hide the images in just a section of my book?

Previous topic - Next topic

bowser

Hello and a newbie question - I would be so grateful for help.
I am using Scribus to layout a photograph book which has 100 pages and up to 6 images per page. Obviously this gets very slow to load and my computer system dosesn't like it at all! I could split the book into several smaller books but I am wondering if there is a way to divide the complete book into sections and then hide the images in the sections I have completed BUT see them in the section on which I am working.....?
Thanks so. Uch in advance.

a.l.e

hi bowser

welcome to scribus.

i don't think that currently there are ways to solve it, except to split the file...

well, there is a "hack":

- create two directories, next to each other, for your images
- call them "images" and "images-high-res"
- when you add an image, add it first to the "images" directory, link it from scribus, move it to the high-res directory and copy back to "images" a low-res copy of your image
- when your finished (or when you want to output a high-res pdf), just close your document, rename "images" to "images-low-res" and then "images-high-res" to "images" and reopen the document.

of course, you will then have a very slow scribus (you won't even be sure to have enough RAM to open your document... so test it from times to time) but it's only for creating the PDF, so it might be ok.

all that being said, it's probably better to split your document...

tosca

Quote from: a.l.e on June 14, 2018, 03:40:36 PM

well, there is a "hack":
etc.
That's what I do for my photos books, they usually contain 240 pages, with full pages pictures and almost no text.
Quote from: a.l.e on June 14, 2018, 03:40:36 PM
all that being said, it's probably better to split your document...
That is no always possible:
- the printer requires one file for all the pages (and another one for the cover)
- the book itself can have a rather complex structure, with sections, pages numbers, table of contents, and such.