Text Flow Around Frames

Previous topic - Next topic

enzogian

Hi, I wonder a couple of things related to text flowing around frames:

1- Can the "Text flowing around frames" action be applied to multiple selected frames ?  I can see it works only by selecting one frame at a time.

2- Where can I insert offset numeric values (separation space from text to frame's border). I have been looking intensively but I have been successful only by editing the contour line manually. (could it be related to the version and platform I am using ? I am using 1.5.4 in Windows 10)

Many thanks and regards,

a.l.e

1. it is common in scribus that actions can only be applied to one item at a time...
    but you can create a group...

2. if i understand you correctly, it's the arrow button in the shape dialog:

[attachment deleted by admin]

enzogian

Thanks a lot Ale, the arrow issues was something I did not catch (was not so evident to me as when I apply it it seems is taking effects only to one side of the frame and not all around the four sides.. I would keep checking why this happens but is certainly a big progress for me knowing the function of this arrow.. (Thanks really)

enzogian

When using the arrow, it increases the path only from one side of the square and not the four sides... (?)

I really hope they could implement the text flowing action for multiple selection. I can see Scribus allows change of properties like shadows, line colors and box colors..in multiple selection..

a.l.e

as you see in the screencast above, here the arrow does increase the contour line in all four directions.
with a somehow up to date scribus.

and concerning multiple selections: the problem, i guess, is how to show values that are not the same in all the selected items.
probably, it's not that easy to get it right for all possible cases... and have a good ux / ui on top of it : - )

personally, i'd prefer to have styles for frames, so that you can apply the same formatting to multiple items (and being able to create / update a style based on the current selection).

utnik

hi enzogian

in the opening post you're talking about editing the contour line. but as i learned from the files you provided with your bug report (.sla and screenshot), you are editing the frame shape instead.
just select the 'contour line' for the text flow and check 'edit contour line' in the nodes edit window and your problems should be gone.

utnik

Ritergal

Thank you a.l.e. I fiddled with this and can't yet predict just what will happen, but it looks promising. It's definitely moving in the right direction from 1.4 versions.

Ritergal

Sparxz

I have grouped an image and text frame below it.

Cannot get another text frame (with text in it), to flow around it.

Am I missing something?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checked since.
The missing info I needed, is the group image and text layer
'must be above' the other text layer I wanted to flow.

Solved !

enzogian

Quote from: a.l.e on May 30, 2018, 08:38:06 PM
1. it is common in scribus that actions can only be applied to one item at a time...
    but you can create a group...

2. if i understand you correctly, it's the arrow button in the shape dialog:

how can I increase margins of separations individually to each side to make the text flow around a box (lets say 3 mm right, 2 mm left, 4 mm top, 6 mm bottom ) ?
I can' t find values for the sides only the percentage to be applied to all the sides of the frame. or by editing the stroke by hand but I cannot control number of units hope it maeks sense thaks