Edit document: INDD --> EPS --> Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

jmccuneRPsf

Scribus 1.4.6

Using InDesign I exported an INDD file to EPS then successfully imported the EPS into Scribus.

Now, how can the text that was imported into Scribus be edited? Or can it in fact be edited? 

It seems that the imported file is just one full page object, perhaps an image? In the properties F2 dialog Text is grayed out.

I presume a PDF exported from InDesign then imported into Scribus would be the same.

mnawij

Save As IDML from InDesign -> File Open Scribus 1.5.3.  Not perfect yet, but it has done a decent job for me, At least gets most elements over to Scribus.  Any problems you can file a bug report and explain what did not import correctly (I think there is already a bug submission that you can add to)  Does not work with 1.4.6 I'm afraid.  The other option is to cut and paste from InDesign to Scribus for text and import the photos.  Fastest way for photos for me is to 'package' InDesign file so all the photos are handily available in a single folder it creates.  I hope this helps.

Cheers!

mnawij

jmccuneRPsf

Thanks for all the tips.

Unfortunately I'm using an older version of Adobe CS. There is no IDML export choice in this version though there is XML and INX. Maybe XML would work in Scribus 1.5.3.

mnawij

Is this a one time job or something you plan to do for other projects?  This will let me know in which direction to help you further.

mnawij

jmccuneRPsf

Small non-profit organization, getting new desktop computer, looking at migrating away from Creative Suite, etc to free open-source apps while setting up new machine (Scribus, GIMP, etc -- already use LibreOffice).

Only have a handful of INDD files that would have to be ported to Scribus, so your suggestion of copy-paste of text  probably sufficient for this purpose.

Rik

hi, just want to say I tried this, but the import did not work well at all. Many items did not get picked up. A good import function would really help people in moving from Adobe to Scribus!!

a.l.e

if your documents did not import well with, please test them with the latest available 1.5.6svn for your platform and if you have some time, please submit test document that fail to https://bugs.scribus.net ...

if possible, you should submit document that are as simple as possible and a pdf that shows how they are supposed to look.

this is (almost) the only way for the import function can improve...

mnawij

Hey a.l.e.

"submit document that are as simple as possible" I have several indesign items that I would like to share with the bugs page, but most are not "simple" they are a completed projects.  Could you elaborate on what you mean by simple? Thanks!

Cheers!

mnawij

a.l.e

hi mnawij

a simple document is a document that has only one or two items in it.
(the item could also be a page size, crop marks or styles...)

how to create them?

you might notice that in your documents, some types of items do not render well when imported in scribus. you can copy paste them in new documents and try if importing the simpler document shows the same issue. if it's the case, now you have a simple document to submit.
you can also replace the real content through fake content and make the documents lighter to share.
you should not forget to also upload a png or pdf that shows how the document is supposed to look like.

having simpler documents helps the developers focus on the issue to be solved.

if you cannot isolate the items that make scribus fail, you can also upload full documents to the bug tracker and if you're not allowed to publish them on the internet, you can mark the ticket as private and it will only be visible to the developers.

more and more print services are publishing idml templates and it would be wonderful if scribus could read them flawlessly!
(and generally, if people could have an easier migration path from ID to scribus)

ciao
a.l.e