Export PDF is blank

Previous topic - Next topic

NobleBear

Hi, I'm new to Scribus and new to these forums! :)

I'm on a Win10 Laptop and am producing a PDF for Drive Thru Cards for a game I hope to publish in the next month or two. After working out all the required specifications they need for both Scribus and the PDF, the export came out completely blank. This happened when opening the file in both Foxit and Acrobat Pro.

I checked the file and the specs in the save I had and it seemed to be in order so tried again. Still blank. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Bear hugs

mnawij

Welcome NobleBear,

Are you creating the pdf file with Scribus' export to pdf or with a 'print to pdf' driver through the print dialog box?

Regards,

mnawij

NobleBear

Thanks for the response!

I'm using the Export to PDF function. The idea being that I would then upload the PDF file onto their servers so they can print a proof for me to see if I made any design errors.

mnawij

First do you have ghostscript installed on your computer and do you have scribus pointed to it inside the Preferences -> External Tools -> Postscript Interpreter.
Second, did you use any master pages in the layout?
Third, are you getting any errors under: Windows -> Preflight Verifier?
Fourth, do you have the "Print Layer" option unchecked under the layers palette?

Also is it just images on your pages or text also? Hopefully one of these suggestions will help.

Cheers!

mnawij

RodneyLee

I had this happen once, everyone I sent the .pdf to could see it fine, the one person forwarded it to a local POA to be printed and it was blank, seems something had to be wrong with their windows computer, ended up sending Images

Nermander

Ghostscript is NOT needed for PDF export.

My primary guess is that Printing is turned off for all layers. Then they will show in screen byt not be exported to PDF.

NobleBear

Quote from: mnawij on April 27, 2018, 11:59:01 PM
First do you have ghostscript installed on your computer and do you have scribus pointed to it inside the Preferences -> External Tools -> Postscript Interpreter.
Second, did you use any master pages in the layout?
Third, are you getting any errors under: Windows -> Preflight Verifier?
Fourth, do you have the "Print Layer" option unchecked under the layers palette?

Also is it just images on your pages or text also? Hopefully one of these suggestions will help.

Cheers!

mnawij

1. Yes, it appears so.
2. Yes, I used at least one for the card back as it would be appearing on all cards.
3. Yes, there are a number of errors that show up.
4. Yes, it was unchecked by default.

Ok, so having checked the print layer and doing a new export:

1. I can now see all the cards -- huzzah! And thanks!

2. it appears that while my character cards are all intact, almost all of my action cards are missing their face. Is this what the errors were indicating? Should I rebuild the card faces for those cards or just do the file over again from scratch?

Thanks for your continued assistance! :)

NobleBear

Quote from: RodneyLee on April 28, 2018, 01:48:32 PM
I had this happen once, everyone I sent the .pdf to could see it fine, the one person forwarded it to a local POA to be printed and it was blank, seems something had to be wrong with their windows computer, ended up sending Images

Oh wow, that must have been weird! Yeah, my wife and I both use a Windows computer, but I figured it couldnt hurt to look at the file on both using the two different pdf apps to read it just to make sure. :)

NobleBear

Quote from: Nermander on April 28, 2018, 09:03:40 PM
Ghostscript is NOT needed for PDF export.

My primary guess is that Printing is turned off for all layers. Then they will show in screen byt not be exported to PDF.

Good to know, though I did check anyway. even though I installed GS after installing Scribus scribus still seemed to know where it was. And you're right, the print layer was turned off or unchecked when I looked at it. Checking it or turning it on helped my visibility issue! :)