Automatate image capture from SnagIt?

Previous topic - Next topic

IDN101

I produce may written software tutorials. I used to just Google Docs but then found Scribus about 2 weeks ago- and it has TOTALLY transformed my workflow and output (for the better)

I use SnagIt for the many screencaptures that I need in my documents.

Is it possible to link SnagIt ands Scribus so that I can just grab a screencapture (with Snagit) and have Scribus instantly create an Image Frame and add the image to it?

Many thanks,
Kind regards,
Ian

GarryP

Welcome to the forum Ian.

As far as I know this isn't possible at the moment, at least as you describe it.

Snagit is not open-source and - as far as I can see - provides no developer APIs, so it's difficult to know how Scribus could "tap in" to its functionality.
On top of that, Snagit is not available for Linux so many Scribus users would be without that facility.
Also, Scribus would have to know how big the image frame should be, so you would have to do that manually anyway.

Scribus does, however, automatically update images when the image file changes so, any time you update an image already used, Scribus will update the image in the document. I.e. Saving a new screen-shot over an existing one will automatically change the image in the document.

IDN101

Many thanks indeed Garry,

I fully appreciate all the points you raise.

As it is, my workflow is still 10X better than before with Google Docs.

I didn't realise it updated the images automatically- that's great to know.

I'm running Scribus 1.4.6- which I think is the latest stable version? Probably no tangible benefit to me in moving to the latest Dev build?

Thanks,
Ian

GarryP

You're welcome.

1.4.6 has been the stable version for more than two years. This means that most of the bugs and "weird things" are already known and work-arounds have been found for most of them. No-one can say that for 1.5.3. The Scribus team say that 1.5.3 is "stable enough" but I would have to think about whether to drive a car that was advertised as "safe enough".

My recommendation would be to use 1.4.6 and become comfortable using it before even thinking about 1.5.x, but the choice is entirely yours.

a.l.e

i don't know anything about snagit, but it might possible to do what you want with a python scribus that runs inside of scribus...
you can look for script examples in the scribus wiki.