Author Topic: why do my images disappear - and why are .sla files so small? (related, maybe?)  (Read 458 times)

catteau

• Scribus User
I'm creating a magazine - 24 pages total, with a fair number of images. 

I'll be working along, inserting images, saving my file very regularly.  And then suddenly some images will be gone, and in the frame where they were is the filename instead of the image.  If I save the Scribus file to a new name and reopen the previously saved version, the images are gone there, too.  Since it gives me the filenames, they are easy to reload - and when I do that, they are already scaled and sized correctly, I don't need to "adjust image to frame." 

If I try to export to a pdf from the file with missing images, it tells me they are missing - so they are really not there, it's not as if I somehow made them invisible.  Not all images in the file disappear, just a few will disappear (different ones at different times, though).

What is going on here?

I also noticed that my .sla file is around 340K, with around 13 pages completed.  When I save it to .pdf, that file is 27 megs.

So does Scribus actually only save pointers to images, not integrating the image into the file itself?  That would explain why the file is so small.  But if that is the case, it would suggest that if I move or rename an underlying image file - or delete it - my Scribus document will no longer be able to find it.

Why would my images suddenly disappear when I wasn't even working on them?  Sometimes it is images from a previous page that I haven't touched in hours. 

I'm using Scribus 1.4.6 on OSX, and this is my first time using the software, so I have lots to learn.

Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can provide!

Joy

catteau

• Scribus User
A bit more info - I took some screenshots to show what's happening.  Just came back to my (saved) file after doing something else for a few minutes, found around a dozen images had disappeared.  A couple of images attached to show what I'm seeing when the images are gone.

I put them all back in, saved the file again.  But I'm sure they will keep disappearing.  Why???????

GarryP

• Scribus User
You hit the nail on the head in your first post Joy.
Scribus uses a relative path from the document to the image, rather than including the image in the SLA.
This is useful as it not only keeps the SLA size to a minimum but it also means that you can update the image outside of Scribus - which means that Scribus doesn't need to have lots of image manipulation tools in it.

Images "disappearing" from image frames usually happens when someone either moves/renames/deletes the image file or moves the SLA.
If you have not moved/deleted/renamed anything and images are still disappearing, that sounds unusual.

Are your images and SLA on the same physical hard drive?
Do you have any kind of "file/media management" software running that could be re-organising your files in the background?

When you save your SLA and come back to it, or a new version of it, what's the exact process you are using? I've a feeling that that's where the problem is but I would need to know precisely what you're doing.

a.l.e

• Global Moderator
    • the graphics lab
hi catteau

in my experience, when people have images disappearing there are two causes:

- they don't have enough memory at disposal
- they're doing something "silly".

what you already have discovered: after having loaded an image into a scribus image frame, you're not supposed to move it or rename it.
nor move the .sla file. (but you can just rename it).

summarized: if you have not done anything in between, it's probably a memory issues... but people have very different definitions for "have done nothing"...

LesCM19

• Scribus User
if you have a root folder you are saving sla files to and storing images, the whole lot can be moved without losing the path to the images.
cheers

Les

a.l.e

• Global Moderator
    • the graphics lab
les hint can work but does not have to.

the only secure way for moving around a scribus project is by using the "file > collect for output" tool.

... say a guy who just got a booklet back from the print shop where all images are missing...