Trouble with "Get Text"

Previous topic - Next topic

remadepreacher

Gary, thanks for the advice about which version to use.
Utnic, I was struggling with an earlier downloading of 1.4.6 — to the point of the program shutting down with #11 crashed every time I tried to do anything with it — even a few minutes. This gives me the impression that these crashes are accumulative. So, when I downloaded anew I started over with this project. I'm sure it is wise to do that again. This could explain why it happens every time on my computer and not yours. Most of the text is in Georgia, it seems wise to delete any font of Georgia and download from a source known to be good. I may go the extra caution of choosing another font to replace it for the book.

However, I have new information. The odt that I downloaded apparently still contains some corruption from the PDF-OCR process. Some was obviously there at the time, some words simply did not look right. I thought I got rid of it, Acrobat's Preflight gave them a green light — but evidently not. I was able to try Datanumen's Word Repair (in my old PC that works only occasionally) on the odt document that produced the crash today. It says it is corrupted and unable to repair it. Why my computer is more susceptible to this corruption than yours? Probably something to do with corrupted fonts on mine (that Font Book's verification can't detect). It seems best to simply do a clean download of High Sierra and keep any previously constructed odt's and PDF's and Word docs off.

I've changed the fonts in the document and will try it again in Datanumen, if the PC comes back (it's currently back in black screen and starting up in safe mode doesn't work).

utnik

as i wrote in the bug tracker, you should try to isolate the problem by testing parts of your complex workflow separately, instead of changing everything (new operating system, new font files...) at the same time.
if a car wouldn't run, your solution could be to change the battery, the inyector pump and all the ignition plugs before a real 'bug hunting attempt' would lead to an empty fuel tank...

utnik

remadepreacher

I'm still unable to work directly in a 1.4.6 text box. I turned on the function keys but F3 still opens the File Properties box as does double clicking on text. Other f keys open properties and the Story Editor but others have nothing else to do with Scribus. F3 plus fn takes it to desktop view. I'll take off 1.4.6 and download anew and see if that makes a difference.
My PC is still stuck in black screen but I tried the test of changing the font from Georgia to HK Serif in a the problem odt and the styles in Scribus. Now there is no problem with putting that subtitle in. I'll be interested in seeing if Datanumen will be able to repair the document after this change.

remadepreacher

I took 1.4.6 off and downloaded it again. No change in behavior — I still cannot work directly on the text in a text box.

utnik

hi remadepreacher

just replacing the scribus application is usually not the way to go.
i told you before what you should do if you suspect a problem with your installation:
Quote from: utnik on April 14, 2018, 07:58:43 AM
...either there's something wrong

• with your scribus installation → to check this you could close scribus, and remove the directory: /users/'your user name'/library/preferences/scribus from the library or rename it to 'scribus_old' and restart scribus.[/l][/l]
with all the strange stuff, like:
Quote from: remadepreacher on April 16, 2018, 02:01:01 PM...F3 still opens the File Properties box as does double clicking on text.

i would really recommend to remove the scribus properties folder and let scribus rebuild it.
utnik[/list]

remadepreacher

Thanks, utnik, I removed Scribus preferences from two places but could not find a Scribus properties file on the mac. Do I need to look somewhere I haven't thought of or are you meaning to remove a properties file direct from the Scribus program?
After removing preferences I was able to double click on the text box one time. After that it was back to the non-working behavior.