cannot read tool tips

Previous topic - Next topic

mnsh

I installed Scribus Version 1.4.6 on Ubuntu 16.04 and am working through on line help but cant find the answer in the forum either.  The tool tips are unreadable as there is a small pale yellow box and text inside the box of the same colour.  I attached a small screenshot to show this and I can't find how to change this, please can you advise, as I would find them very useful, thanks, Matthew

[attachment deleted by admin]

mnawij

Hello mnsh,

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the tool tips are colored by the gtk theme chosen at the OS level and not within Scribus.  Do you have a custom theme setup?

Regards,

mnawij

mnsh

Thanks mnawij
In Ubuntu Settings/Appearance the theme is Ambiance which it came with and I have not changed anything.  There are 2 other Theme options Radiance and High Contrast which I have never tried or needed.  Tooltips in other programmes are all fine.  Please is this Ambiance the same as the gtk theme?
Matthew

mnawij

Hi Matthew,

I know that qt applications sometimes do not play well in the gtk environment see:  https://askubuntu.com/questions/909075/how-to-customize-the-colors-of-qt-applications-in-ubuntu-16-10/909216  is about coloring qt apps in gtk and I know that is not your problem just showing the interaction of qt apps.  My first recommendation would be to uninstall and reinstall Scribus and making a backup of $home directory, %username/.scribus which is a hidden preferences file and then deleting it if the uninstall does not do this for you...NOTE: Only if you do not have other custom Scribus settings that are not easily recreated, that is why I recommend keeping the backup copy.  I use Scribus in both Mac and Linux mint atm... so if I have time I will spin up a new install of ubuntu in a couple of days to see if I can reproduce, unless another poster could check before then.  These suggestions are just a stab in the dark, I am suggesting what troubleshooting I would do in your situation.

mnawij

GarryP

mnsh

If I change the Ubuntu Theme to High-Contrast then the tooltips are clearly readable.  But not in Radiance.  I don't like the rest of the High-Contrast screen but for the moment it's a work-around I can live with, and I will gradually learn what the tooltips say and eventually manage without them.  The things about kde and qt are a bit beyond me I'm afraid.

mnawij

mnsh,

you can actually install a new theme, google should have plenty of explanations on how to do this.  Check out for some of these themes:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/11/best-gtk-themes-for-ubuntu

Maybe installing a new different theme could help.

mnawij

mnsh

yes thank you this worked
grateful for your help
Matthew