FIXED: Newbie: How to vertically align text in text box

Previous topic - Next topic

deonholt

Hi there.

I have downloaded Scribus yesterday and starting to learn it.

I need to vertically align text to center position of text box. I have watched tutorials on this but could only find how to align text boxes with one another.

Please point me to a tutorial on how to vertically align text to center in its own text box.

Deon

GarryP

Welcome to the forum Deon.

You can't vertically align text to the centre of a text frame in 1.4.6. It's been asked for before https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=321 and has been added to the developmental versions (1.5.x) but, as far as I've read, it's not working as well as some people think it should.

Have you tried to align the text manually, without taking the frame into account? I.e. Ignore the text frame - temporarily switch frames off if necessary - and put the text where it looks best to the eye. This works well enough in most simple cases and can even be better than using an automatic function, depending on the text. Put the text where it looks best rather than keeping to a rigid layout.

RodneyLee

I'd like to see what your trying to do, sounds like Tabs could align to center of text box or a second text box aligned left and centered in first text box could work.

GarryP

RodneyLee, Deon is asking - if I've read the question properly - how to align text vertically within a frame - i.e. put the same amount of space at the top and bottom - (which Scribus can't do) rather than aligning the text against a vertical axis within the frame which would be horizontal alignment (which Scribus already does well with the existing alignment functions).

I could be wrong though.

utnik

hi deon

Quote from: deonholt on February 21, 2018, 11:40:48 AMI need to vertically align text to center position of text box.

with the officially 'stable' program version (1.4.6) you can't do this.

with scribus 1.5.3 there is a way – but at the moment still with some problems.

• you'll have to create a 'blind element' (an invisible square in the size of your text frame) for your alignment
  • right click the text frame and select 'adjust frame height to text' (as long as this bug isn't solved you need to readjust the height manually...)
  • with 'windows' → 'align and distribute' you can center the text frame on your 'blind element'
as soon as the bug is resolved, this should be a way to do the job...

utnik

deonholt

Quote from: utnik on February 21, 2018, 03:28:19 PM
hi deon

Quote from: deonholt on February 21, 2018, 11:40:48 AMI need to vertically align text to center position of text box.

with the officially 'stable' program version (1.4.6) you can't do this.

• you'll have to create a 'blind element' (an invisible square in the size of your text frame) for your alignment
  • right click the text frame and select 'adjust frame height to text' (as long as this bug isn't solved you need to readjust the height manually...)
  • with 'windows' → 'align and distribute' you can center the text frame on your 'blind element'

utnik
Thank you so very much. This is exactly what I want. I have downloaded 1.5.3 and will give it a try. I have done this with PS to align objects and will try the same here.

Thank you very much.

deonholt

hi deon

utnik
I tried as you have suggested, but don't get it right.
One of the reasons I need to have this to work, is that I need a buffer of about 2mm on top & below. At the moment my text is right against the top margin and I cannot get a way to have a "spacer" between text and text box. (I hope I express myself correctly.)

I have attached a screenshot of my problem. Maybe you have other suggestions in solving this.

Thank you so long for everyone's suggestions.
Deon

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi deon

Quote from: deonholt on February 21, 2018, 04:56:17 PMOne of the reasons I need to have this to work, is that I need a buffer of about 2mm on top & below.

for this you should take a look at 'properties' (f2) → 'text' → 'columns & text distances' in scribus 1.4.6, or 'text properties' (f3) → 'columns & text distances' in scribus 1.5.3...

utnik

deonholt

Quote from: utnik on February 21, 2018, 05:21:15 PM
hi deon

for this you should take a look at 'properties' (f2) → 'text' → 'columns & text distances' in scribus 1.4.6, or 'text properties' (f3) → 'columns & text distances' in scribus 1.5.3...

utnik
Thank you VERY much. This helps a lot and solves my problem for now.

Are you guys aware of any video tutorials on 1.5.3? I'm a newbie and have about 1 day's experience. I see that there is a lot more I need to learn.

Thank you so much for helping me out. Really appreciate it.

GarryP

You probably won't find many tutorials - video or otherwise - for the 1.5.x versions as they are developmental software and, as such, keep changing.
For example, a tutorial for 1.5.1 may not work with 1.5.2 if features have been moved around or removed/replaced so it's not really in anyone's interest to make a tutorial for something that might be out-of-date next week - depending on what the developers decide to do with the software.

I would very much recommend using 1.4.6 until the next stable version (1.6) comes out, whenever that may be, unless you absolutely need to regularly use features that don't exist in 1.4.6.

Without knowing how 1.4.6 works, you have no way of knowing whether an issue in 1.5.x is a problem with the software or your own mistake. You could spend hours trying to figure out what you're doing wrong only to find out that you're not doing anything wrong and it's the software that's broken.

deonholt

Hi all and thank you for your help.

I have just stumbled on a setting in 1.5.3 in F3 settings.
Under "Columns & Text Distances" there is an option for vertical alignment. And guess what: Options are; Top, Middle & Bottom. This is exactly what I was looking for. I have attached a screenshot of the setting.

Thank you again very much for your patience and help. Thumbs up! to all of you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi deon

Quote from: deonholt on February 22, 2018, 10:04:29 AM...there is an option for vertical alignment.

thanks – i wasn't aware of that.

utnik