Layer Properties under Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptorian

When I'm talking about Layer Properties, I'm talking about this thing right here

I would love to have layers only print when visible after exporting from Scribus. But, I am unable to find the option for that under Scribus.

RodneyLee

Even to be able to make objects such as templates non-printable would be great.

utnik

hi reptorian

Quote from: Reptorian on February 11, 2018, 02:56:20 AMI would love to have layers only print when visible after exporting from Scribus.

could you explain your specific use case – i don't see the problem right now.
if you uncheck the 'print' box in the 'layers' palette, the layer won't be exported to the .pdf file and won't be printed.

Quote from: RodneyLee on February 11, 2018, 04:05:35 AM
Even to be able to make objects such as templates non-printable would be great.

again, i don't know what rodneylee is missing.
you can tell scribus for every object if it should be printed or not ('properties' → 'x, y, z').

utnik

Nermander

As it is now, you need to toggle visibility and printability independently. On toggle to rule them both is what's asked for.

utnik

hi nermander

thanks for clarification!
imho it's better to split the two functions – but that's just me...

utnik

RodneyLee

Thanks, I guess I didn't look close enough, I did find that "print off" ability in Layers though :)

Nermander

Quote from: utnik on February 11, 2018, 01:16:04 PM
imho it's better to split the two functions – but that's just me...

In most cases yes, but I can understand that it becomes confusing when for example non-visible layers print (user does not see them on screen, but they end up in print).

Also sometimes users may have different layers for different languages. In such cases the "Print only visible layers" most likely would be very useful. Otherwise one language may show on screen but another language get printed.

Reptorian

Quote from: utnik on February 11, 2018, 09:37:29 AMcould you explain your specific use case – i don't see the problem right now.
if you uncheck the 'print' box in the 'layers' palette, the layer won't be exported to the .pdf file and won't be printed.

I am using a car package design PDF for a project that I"m working on, and the reason I want to only print visible layer in a PDF reader is because I want to be able to toggle on/off combination of layers that I want to print. There are 8 layers in the PDF, and when I want to print specific layers that I want to see, I'll turn off visibility of layers, and I expect to print those.  To expand:

- Wood Measurement
- Automobile Measurement
- Object
- Vector Overlay
- Sketch
- Person Model
- Wood
- Original Reference Blueprint

This is from a PDF file used to make clay model of a car, and I can switch on/off layers that I don't want printed. I had to use PDF Architect 5 to enable printing only visible layers.

There are other specific use case like language switching.