Updated PDF Version Output?

Previous topic - Next topic

mnawij

Hello Everyone!

I am just curious if there are plans to extend the pdf export to 1.6, 1.7 or even the new 2.0 in the future?  Reference: https://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/version

Thanks,

mnawij

a.l.e

i skimmed through the list... only 2.0 seems relevant for printing...

... and it's brand new, so i would not expect printers to support it for a few years...

why were you asking for those formats?
do you know about print shops that accept or require them?

ciao
a.l.e

mnawij

I just got a new RIP and the minimum that it will accept is v1.5 and I was talking with the installer and he is expecting that version will not be accepted in the next 18-24 months.  I have time to wait but I would like to see a newer version from Scribus in the next couple of years.

mnawij

RodneyLee

I imagine there must be a .pdf converter online to go from one version to another

mnawij

Also, another reason that I asked this question is the import level of pdf files also at 1.5 or will they convert newer pdf versions?  I not only have to create print ready pdf files, but I also have to accept print ready artwork from customers such as advertisements for placement into books or magazines.  If Scribus cannot import these newer pdf versions exported say from inDesign CC2018, I will find it harder to move to a completely open source design system which has been my goal for a few years now.

Thanks for the assistance!

mnawij

Nermander

Importing a PDF into Scribus just to be able to convert it to a newer PDF version does not seem to fit within the core intended purpose for Scribus.

Wouldn't Ghostscript be a better tool to convert a PDF to different version?

mnawij

My apologies Nermander if I was not clear.

I receive up to a dozen customer supplied art files every week and most do not have the bleed box set or the crop/trim marks etc...  Right now I place those pdf art files into InDesign to set the bleed box which is needed for the digital press' imposition software.  Sort of a work around so I do not have to ask the customer to resupply artwork with things such as bleed boxes that they do not understand.  So yes I am converting a pdf to another pdf, but now I hope you have a clearer understanding of why.  I need to be able to do the same workflow using Scribus if possible, hence the acceptable pdf versioning of imports and exports...  Please let me know if there is anything else in my confusing ramble that would need further clarification.

Thanks,

mnawij

Nermander

Well I still think that what you are doing is not the core purpose of Scribus.

Scribus is for page layout, you are not doing page layout.

What you are doing is something for a PDF editing software (like Adobe Acrobat).

mnawij

I have to agree to disagree with you, but that is alright.  I see no difference in placing a jpg tif or png and a pdf file onto a page to set up a bleed, I and every other designer I know do it all of the time with customer supplied artwork in InDesign the recognized leader of DTP apps.  I do not want this to turn into a disagreement of whether or not Scribus should be InDesign, but I do have to argue that those of us in the business should be at the top of who are listened to in how DTP apps should/could be used.  I have been doing this for twenty years now and I use a DTP app in this way at least a half a dozen times or more per week.  Let me give an example to be clearer, I receive a file such as those file types I mentioned previously that is 8.75" x 11.25", standard US Letter size with 1/8" bleed on all sides.  The said file does not have a technical bleed box for my prepress RIP to interpret, so I place the image into a Letter Size page with 1/8" bleed box setup and export as a pdf file that now has a bleed box that registers with my Digital Press RIP.  Trust me, this saves a ton of time on prepress, production and post production items such as registration, cutting, and positioning.  In the printing business, time is most definitely money and this option I just explained does just that without having to go back to your customer, who does not understand any of this technical necessities, and allows me to get the job done.  So in my opinion, it is a prepress DTP issue, but that is all it is, my opinion.

Cheers,

mnawij

Nermander

I fully understand that it is time saving for you, but are you really trying to say that it is not a task of a PDF editor like Adobe Acrobat?

In my eyes you are using Scribus for the task because it is the only FOSS that can do the task, but that still does not mean Scribus is the right tool for it.

You can always hit a nail with a wrench, but it doesn't turn the wrench into a hammer.

mnawij

Yes, I am trying to use only FOSS software to see if it is possible for my company so I do not have to shell out for Adobe CC next year.  Acrobat v10 which I have does not always set the bleed/trim/cut boxes correctly when adjusting, maybe it gets it right 75% of the time.  I have pitstop professional pdf editor which works but it takes thrice as long to achieve the same results as just dropping the file into a DTP app and it will not work with image files unless I convert them to pdf first, so I am back to the same starting point.  It really is the only FOSS app that can do this, which in my opinion makes it the right app, though there could be another FOSS app out there if anyone would like to help me find it.

Cheers,

mnawij