Collect for output

Previous topic - Next topic

AdmFubar

I'd like to see as an optional  default for saving files.  I find that i am pulling material from a variety of (temporary) locations. I don't often think about Collecting For Output, before cleaning up these files. It would be great for this type of workflow. I'm sure other users of Scribus would appreciate such an option.

Thank you
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

GarryP

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you explain the idea with a bit more detail please?
Specifically, what work-flow are using using and why does the way that Scribus currently works not support that as well as you would like?

mnawij

Hey GarryP,

I believe that OP would like to see the 'collect for default' as an option when when using the 'save' command as he forgets temp files that he uses and does not save before discarding.

Hi AdmFubar, please correct my statement to GarryP if I am off on what you are asking.

I have been doing design work since 1998 and I believe this would be a bad idea, I will not elaborate on this atm as I am short on time.  The best solution is to create a workflow and keep at it until it becomes second nature.  My workflow summarized is: every 'active job' has a folder on the desktop.  All items for that job that I have are collected are store there before I even begin the design and added to later as I find/receive additional files.  Only after I receive the 'final' customer approval and the .pdf file is created for print do I run 'collect for output' to store the job in my completed jobs folder.  For a couple of years at the beginning I defined and refined my workflow and kept it posted on the side of my monitor and followed the steps religiously until they became second nature.  My advise is to create a workflow and stick to it.

Cheers,

mnawij

GarryP

mnawij: I'll wait to see what the OP says but I have a feeling that what you think might be happening is what the OP means.

However, in the mean time, I agree that using the "Collect for Output" function as a regular part of a work-flow is the wrong thing to be doing.

The "Collect for Output" function should only (normally) be used for two things:
(a) Collecting everything together for distribution to a Scribus-using print shop, or;
(b) Collecting everything together to create an archive of a finished job.

In either case, that function should only be used once the entire job has been completed and no more changes are to be made. In other words, it should be the last thing that is done with a particular job (if needed).

As for the storage of images, I personally have an "Images" folder - organised into sub-folders by type of image - which is completely separate from my documents. When I get a new image - download etc. - I move it to this folder. I can then re-use any images in whatever document I need to without needing to duplicate them between projects. I find this is good for me but everyone has their own way of doing things and what's good for one person may not be good for another. (There are some exceptions to this where I know I will only need the image for one particular document but I always copy the image to a "permanent" location first.)

In short, always copy/move the image to somewhere "permanent" before you use it and you never need to use "Collect for Output" until the end.

If AdmFubar can give more information - as requested - I'm sure we can come up with a work-flow that's more suitable.

jack_cat

Garry P said:
"The "Collect for Output" function should only (normally) be used for two things:
(a) Collecting everything together for distribution to a Scribus-using print shop, or;
(b) Collecting everything together to create an archive of a finished job."

I would like to respectfully disagree, although in principle GP is right. I use whatever workarounds I can.
In my case, an early draft had a different folder order for the graphics, which I had kept in different folders just to keep them straight by topic, instead of dumping them all together. After revision, it didn't match the new folder order that would have been logical. At this point, beginning a new major revision after several consecutive draft revisions, Collect to Output was really useful for beginning the major revision. The many files in the earlier folders that I had NOT actually used were left behind and didn't clutter up the project; if I had saved everything I thought I might use when I was creating graphics in the beginning, I would have many un-used files cluttering up the main graphics directory.

Maybe this is a fault in my own work flow, but Collect for Output has been very useful to me as an interim step as well as its supposed main function as in Garry P's comment.

thanks!