What's up with Master Pages?

Previous topic - Next topic

broadlighter

Hi,

I started experimenting with simple Master pages. I'm running Scribus 1.4.6 on Windows 10.

I created a double-sided starter file, watched a video on how to use Master pages. I opened Windows => Arrange Pages, double-clicked on Master Right and placed a text frame as big as the margins and closed the Edit Master Pages box, as instructed. I repeated the same steps for the Master Left pages. I could see the text frames with their borders grayed out on all the pages in the document. However, when I clicked on the Text frames they didn't activate and make themselves available for adding or editing text.

I was hoping that setting the Master Pages this way my pages would have text frames available for adding and editing text on all of my pages. Did I miss something? Am I misunderstanding something about Master Pages that I need to know?

Thanks,

Broadlighter

GarryP

In Scribus - as of 1.4.6 (I can't say what will be happening with later versions) - master pages are simply page backgrounds.

They always get rendered on the page before anything else and they always contain the same content no matter which page they are applied to. (Page numbers are one of the exceptions to this as they are calculated rather than user-input.)

You can edit the contents of master pages via "Edit -> Master Pages..." or, as you say, the Arrange Pages dialog. It's awkward, but it helps to keep master pages separate from "normal" pages since they are very different things.

If you want to have repeatable layouts then the Scrapbook is probably your best bet at the moment.

utnik

hi broadlighter

Quote from: broadlighter on November 29, 2017, 10:24:23 PM...double-clicked on Master Right and placed a text frame as big as the margins and closed the Edit Master Pages box, as instructed. I repeated the same steps for the Master Left pages...

master page objects aren't editable on the document pages.
but if you just need a margin sized text frame on every page, you should check the option for 'automatic text frames' while creating the document. (the automatic frames will be linked – unlink them where you need them separated...)

Quote from: GarryP on November 30, 2017, 10:00:32 AM...master pages are simply page backgrounds.

...including guides...

Quote...as of 1.4.6 (I can't say what will be happening with later versions)

1.5.x brings multi layered master pages, where the mp layers are interlaced with corresponding document layers – for me an interesting feature...
but the master pages are still 'static' layers.

QuoteIf you want to have repeatable layouts then the Scrapbook is probably your best bet at the moment.

i recommend a mixed use of master pages, scrapbook items, patterns (and personal document templates, wich could include all those items...)

utnik

Nermander

Yes, in most cases I think the scrapbook provides what many people expect from Master Pages, as long as they learn that you can doubleclick scrapbook items to insert them in their original position.