How to create a text table in Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

Edoz

Hello, I'm new to this scribus forum.. i'm using scribus for a couple years now .. and i like it! ..  But can someone tell me what the best way is to make a text table ?

I just want a simple table (Like in MS word) with different collums and rows where i can put some text in it ?
I was looking at the manual but was unable to find it.

There is a table option but i'm unable to do something with text..

Hope anyone can help me ?

Nermander

The table support in Scribus is not very good, but as long as you don't need any line wrapping within a single cell and can live without lines (and really, using lines for tables is often considered bad design) you can make your tables using TABs instead.

Wena

I am also a newbe.

I haven't needed a table so fare but depending on your needs and if you find the table menu a problem. How about, first making the table as a drawing on paper, scanning it into your computer as an image then with scribus layers put a text box on top of the image. Then fill them in as per requirement.

On alternative way might be to make you table using the lines system in scribus. That would give you  more control, you can then move the lines if you if you found that more space was needed.

I have seen a video tutorial on a web, I think it's called "Ho-to"

I will have a look at the tables system to see if I can find the way to use it.

Wena

Edoz

Scan in a paper and draw a table by using self created lines sound a little bit bad to me ;)
Maybe it's better to create a table in word and use this as a picture in this case.

i'm using the TAB solution in a textbox at this moment .. but this is just a text based solution.

BDW: I see a table option in scribus where you can create rows and columns but .. if i see the propeties
there not a lot you can configure ..  Were is this option for ?

Any other suggestions ?

Nermander

A "table" in Scribus is (at the moment) more or less only a set of text frames grouped together.

I haven't worked much with tables, but there are a few tricks in the Wiki, for example this
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Complex_tables_in_Scribus

BTW, here I also found a decription on "bad" tables.
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Avoiding_Design_Problems#Lines_and_Text_Example

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: Edoz on October 31, 2011, 01:49:13 PM
Scan in a paper and draw a table by using self created lines sound a little bit bad to me ;)
Maybe it's better to create a table in word and use this as a picture in this case.

First, I don't recall that you said what version of Scribus you are using and what operating system you have. It is always good to state this at the beginning of a question because the answers might be different. And if you are not using 1.4.0 RC6 (release candidate 6), I recommend switching to it.

I use OpenOffice.org Writer instead of Word, but the same method will work with Word. That is, just create the table in Word, select it, and print to a Postscript file. (On most systems the file will have the extension .ps, but in Windows it will end in .prn.) Then, in Scribus, you can do File > Import As Vector and Scribus will bring in the table as a graphic. Word might offer some other export options; if so, experiment to see which works best.

Another option is to use a render frame and create the table with Latex. Of course, you need Latex installed on your computer, and you need to know Latex.

Quote from: Edoz on October 31, 2011, 01:49:13 PMBDW: I see a table option in scribus where you can create rows and columns but .. if i see the propeties
there not a lot you can configure ..  Were is this option for ?

The "table" feature in Scribus is not really a table feature. It is a script to create multiple text boxes, grouped so as to imitate a real table. Therefore you cannot do a lot of things that a real table feature would have.

Real tables are definitely on the roadmap for future versions of Scribus. I understand that during the 2011 Google Summer of Code one of the participants was working on tables, but I haven't heard anything lately. In any event, even if the participant was able to implement tables they won't likely make it into Scribus until version 1.5.0.
Linguistics on Linux!

a.l.e

fyi: the new table code has been merged into 1.5svn.

craig and elvis are working on making it ready for production (most of all: saving the data in the .sla...)

the new tables engine will certainly be in 1.6!

until then, there are several workarounds for creating tables in scribus and you should use the one that best fits your needs...

ciao
a.l.e

Kalyan-sg

Quote from: Edoz on October 31, 2011, 12:11:26 PM
Hello, I'm new to this scribus forum.. i'm using scribus for a couple years now .. and i like it! ..  But can someone tell me what the best way is to make a text table ?

I just want a simple table (Like in MS word) with different collums and rows where i can put some text in it ?
I was looking at the manual but was unable to find it.

There is a table option but i'm unable to do something with text..

Hope anyone can help me ?

I found the best way to create tables in Scribus is

1) First create the table in Libreoffice Draw
2) Save the table in Libreoffice Draw as a svg file
3) Import the svg file in Scribus
4) Ungroup the imported file by Item>Ungroup
5) Select the table and position where you want your table in the Scribus document
6) Delete the outside frame from the ungrouped items
7) & you are done!

It is really easy! Any kind of table can thus be imported to Scribus! Please note that I did this using Ubuntu 12.04

Happy tabling in Scribus!