Show margins as lines, not as shaded area?

Previous topic - Next topic

dezcat

Is there a way to show the margin area with a line demarcating the margin instead of as a colored area? I see how to change the color...

thank you!
writer, artist

GarryP

I'm not sure what you mean by "margin area".
The margins - or margin guides, as they are sometimes called - are shown as lines and not as coloured areas (see attached).
Can you provide a screenshot showing the problem?

[attachment deleted by admin]

dezcat

when I say, "margin area" I mean that, after selecting what color I want the margin guide to be, I am presented with a shaded-in *area*, not a line but an area.

Margin = space between the "live" area of the artboard and the perimeter of the document, ie paper.

I am accustomed to having that delineated by a line..I'm happy that you can get a line. Can you share with me how I can get a line indicating the margin, rather than a colored area?

Screengrab attached.  Thank you!

[attachment deleted by admin]
writer, artist

utnik

hi dezcat

as garry said, the standard display for the margins is a blue line. but you can change this to a colorized area outside of the margins. (,document setup' → ,display' → ,pages' → ,show unprintable area in margin color, for the curent document or ,preferences' → ,display' → ,pages' → ,show unprintable area in margin color, for future documents)

utnik

dezcat

Great..so un-checking "show unprintable area in margin color" gives me just a margin line, not a margin colored area.

thank you!
writer, artist

GarryP

I had no idea that there was a "Display unprintable area in margin colour" option as I have always only ever seen the margins as lines on OS X, Windows and Linux.
dezcat: Do you think you might have accidentally checked that option at some point?
I'm only asking because if that option was switched on by default - from installation - then I would say that it needs to be fixed wherever you got the code from. Otherwise, a lot of people could be having the same problem.

dezcat

QuoteI had no idea that there was a "Display unprintable area in margin colour" option as I have always only ever seen the margins as lines on OS X, Windows and Linux.
dezcat: Do you think you might have accidentally checked that option at some point?
I'm only asking because if that option was switched on by default - from installation - then I would say that it needs to be fixed wherever you got the code from. Otherwise, a lot of people could be having the same problem.

Extremely unlikely, though possible. I am a very experienced designer..I've used all the major titles, and a few of the oddbark ones. As for the item I un-checked, I've had to stop and think about what that phrase actually means. Now that I (think) that I know what it's asking, I don't know what on earth that would have to do with whether or not to show the margins as lines or not!

I will say that I am using the Scribus daily build on Ubuntu 17.04 and prior to using Scribus, I first make sure I have the latest one prior to beginning my session.

I hope my question helps others!
writer, artist

a.l.e

this option is definitively not enabled by default.
you must have clicked it while going through the preferences dialog.

and if you have a better wording for it, please submit it to the bug tracker: https://bugs.scribus.net

it's an option that most people should never enable... and i wonder a bit what's the use for it in a "modern" workflow... (well, if you're designing a newsletter that is passed to inexperienced people for the layout work and they are printing it on an office printer... maybe...)