Creating a new grid

Previous topic - Next topic

joycey

Hi,

I'm a relatively new user to Scribus and I'm really enjoying using it.

I'm in the process of making a book/zine via Magcloud and will be exporting to PDF. I have a Document set-up to match the details on the PDF guidelines (see here and use mouse rollover on the page), using Page Size, Margins and Bleeds, except the Safe Zone.

Can this be added via a Guide? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help!

a.l.e

of course you can use guides for this...

but i somehow have the feeling that the safe zone matches the page margins...

joycey

@a.l.e
Thanks for the reply. The Margins I have match the dotted-line border (Trim Size) shown in the link. I would like to add an additional Guide to match Safe Zone: 4.75" x 7.75"

Is this done via Guides Manager?

utnik

hi joycey

as ale suggested, you should set:

• the 'document size' as 'trim size' (dotted line, 5.25"×8.25")
  • the 'margins' for the 'safe zone' (1/8" for all edges)
  • the 'bleeds' (0, 1/4", 1/8", 1/8")
with this settings, the final .pdf file (with the bleeds) will have a size of 5.5"×8.5".

utnik

joycey

@utnik
Many thanks for your help. I will give this a try later this evening

joycey

@utnik
I tried your suggestion earlier. For me, setting the margins at 1/8" for all edges does not put a margin at 4.75" x 7.75" for the Safe Zone

Is there something I would need to select whilst Exporting a PDF?

When I exported and uploaded to the Magcloud service it complained that my PDF was in 5.25" x 8.25" format but the PDF size needs to be 5.5" x 8.5" (dimensions I'm trying to achieve are attached)

Apologies for asking such simple questions. It takes about 20-30 mins to upload a PDF and it's frustrating when I then get an error message.  :(

[attachment deleted by admin]

mnawij

Hi Joycey,

Utnik's instructions are correct, it sounds like you forgot to export the pdf file with bleed.  Under the PrePress tab on the pdf export, did you remember to check the box for "use document bleed"?  Also the template shows the the finished pages are 2up spreads... that is why the bleed is set to 0" for the inside.  Hope this helps.

Good luck,

mnawij

utnik

hi joycey

Quote from: joycey on November 07, 2017, 12:22:55 AM...setting the margins at 1/8" for all edges does not put a margin at 4.75" x 7.75" for the Safe Zone

you're right. i made a mistake with the margins – sorry!

the correct values are:

• 'document size': 5.25"×8.25"
  • 'margins': 1/4" for all edges (leads to a safe zone of 4.75"×7.75")
  • 'bleeds': 0, 1/4", 1/8", 1/8"
Quote...my PDF was in 5.25" x 8.25" format but the PDF size needs to be 5.5" x 8.5"...

see the post above from mnawij – you didn't export the document with bleeds.

utnik

joycey

@mnawij / @utnik,
Thank you both for your replies and help. I wasn't aware of the "use document bleed" option on the PrePress tab so I will take a look at this.

I'm glad I found and decided to use Scribus, it's a great piece of software