STORY EDITOR ISSUES

Previous topic - Next topic

WHYz

Good day! I am a newbie to Scribus, and am trying to learn it as I make our church bulletin. I created a text box, and now am editing it in the story editor. I have questions though...many.

• II don't have any leading under each line of text. I did a search and saw that there should be something about "line spacing," but I'm not seeing it (Scribus 1.4.6).
  • I tried to change the color of my font, but instead, the background has changed, and nothing I do fixes, but the problem remains
  • In order to alter any text I've added, I have to make the changes (font, size, etc), then highlight all the text, then hit "update text." Is that correct? It seems like it should be easier.

I'm thinking theThree questions are enough (for _now_, anyway). I've been using Adobe PageMaker for decades, and used Quark in 1998 and '99, so this is a whole new toy. (So U may get lots of these Newbie-type posts from me for a while.)
If U can't see the silver lining, look harder!

GarryP

The bottom line regarding the Story Editor is to not use it unless you need to for specific purposes.

The story editor is good if you want to do certain things, such as see the text you're editing without formatting, or to see if there are any unexpected characters that might be causing a problem, but in most cases it's not a good choice to use for formatting text simply because it doesn't show formatting.

Also, the story editor only allows you to apply a very small subset of the formatting that Scribus lets you use. So you not only cannot see the formatting but you also cannot apply much of the formatting either. Think of the story editor as a plain text editor. If you want to see the plain text then it's the place to be, otherwise do the formatting another way, as below.

In most general cases, you should format the text "live" by double-clicking the text frame, selecting the text you want to format, and then applying the formatting you want. It's much easier and - for the most part (but not always) - you get instant feedback.

To add to that, if you have a lot of formatting to do - especially if you think you might want to tweak things here and there to get things right - then you should really be looking at using Styles. They are easy to create and let you make changes en masse much more easily than doing them manually.