WIN10 & Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

WHYz

I successfully, I thought, downloaded scribus in my (new) WIN10 (until I got this one, I had only used WIN XP for years). Since I needed to learn Scribus, I found Youtube clips of tutorials. Something I did enlarged the texts of the program(i.e., File, Edit, etc.). I have tried a variety of things to fix it, but have not been able to. I have gone into the control panel and removed Scribus (a number of times), cold boot, then downloaded Scribus again. But the enlarged texts were still there.

I am hoping someone can tell me how to fix this problem. I am also hoping someone can direct me to a print out site for a tutorial. (TIA)
If U can't see the silver lining, look harder!

mnawij

Did you check the preference page? See attached.  Also are any of your other applications menu size changed? If so it could be the operating system...

These tutorials are a few years old, but still work:

http://pclosmag.com/special.html  (scroll down until you find Scribus Edition)
https://fullcirclemagazine.org/scribus-special-edition/

Books ISBN that I have, check Amazon.com
ISBN-13: 978-0956078001
ISBN-13: 978-1849513005

mnawij

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

If you're using 1.4.6 (or earlier), the UI font size settings are in the "General" section of Preferences.

P.S. Removing Scribus via the Control Panel will not remove all of Scribus, some settings/configuration files still remain which are picked up and used by subsequent installations. In other words, if you don't also delete these files you're just re-installing Scribus with the old settings intact. To properly remove Scribus - for whatever reason - you need to also delete the folder C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Scribus where <yourname> is the name you're logged on with.

WHYz

mnawij, I believe it _was_ the preferences that I had been on B4 all the fonts went catawampus. I was seeing what things did; I changed the font size from 9 or 10 (whatever the default was), to 12 or 13. But now that the menu font is so large, there is no way I can really find and change the issue.

Thanks so much for those print out tutorial links you sent (at least, that's what I assume they are; I'm not too sure, though). Any info is MUCH appreciated. I've used PageMaker for years, but when my printer went kaput, we had to get a more currant computer...which means a new page layout program.

Thanks for helping.

WHYz

GaryP, I'm going to try deleting the whole thing and reinstalling!  :D  I'm praying this finally does it! I'll let U know soon!

GarryP

WHYz, before you go that far you could try doing what is mentioned here: http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,890.0.html
The file you need to change is C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Scribus\scribus140.rc (for 1.4.x, and scribus150.rc for 1.5.x)
It might be a less extreme option and it means you will not lose any other personal settings.

WHYz

GaryP, I recently tried to find (in order to delete) "C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\Roaming\Scribus." According to the message I received on my computer, that file doesn't exist. I deleted each file name, and received the same message until I was down to:  "C:\Users\<myname." I'll be bringing my laptop to my Prayer Meeting in about 1.5 hours so the pastor and I can try to solve this problem afterward so I can get back to making bulletins and phone directories, etc.. This problem is so frustrating, I could just cry!!

WHYz

GaryP, It seems we successfully deleted the folder. I just did a search, and there's no Scribus anything on here! (I didn't read your last msg until a few minutes ago. But I hadn't personalized anything of real substance, so I'm okay w/just redoing it.) My pastor (who's helping me get this going) wants me to find out if there is a preferred browser I should use (I am in the USA, if that matters). (TIA)

GarryP

It's a shame that you're having so much trouble with this. It would be nice if Scribus has some kind of "reset of last resort" function built in to be used when things have gone horribly wrong (like in this instance). Something like keeping Shift+Ctrl+Alt pressed down while it loads to return it to factory values would be useful.

You didn't need to delete things by file. Simply right-clicking on the Scribus folder in Roaming and selecting Delete should have been enough. Deleting each file until you were down to C:\Users\<myname> is a bit worrying as it sounds like you've deleted all of your personal stuff. I hope that isn't the case.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a preferred browser". If it's a file browser that you can use to find things then the Windows built-in Explorer should do you fine. Scribus has nothing to do with web browsing so I don't think that should make a difference. If it's a PDF "browser" then Adobe Reader DC is the recommended option.

If you can't find the AppData folder using Explorer you will need to press the "View" menu item (top of the Explorer window) and check the box that says "Hidden Items". You can switch this option back off later if you need to.

WHYz

GaryP> What I meant by "preferred browser" is that some programs have issues when using anything other than IE or Chrome. However, since you weren't sure what I meant, I'm going to assume there is no preferred browser, and use my own preferred browser, Firefox.

I'm hoping all will go smoothly with _this_ download of Scribus and this will be my last post in this conversation!!