Help with borders and margins

Previous topic - Next topic

abasel

With reference to the attached screenshot how do I do the following?

• Create a margin at the top of the text frame so that the there is a space between the top margin and the text
  • Set the border around the text frame so that there is not left and right border i.e. only the top and bottom ones

Kind regards

[attachment deleted by admin]

abasel

Ok I think I answered  my own question. There are no margins in a frame. You simple move the frame to accommodate the space and use horizontal lines to create the borders.

utnik

hi abasel

for the border, you're right. afaik you can't colorize only parts of it.
but there are margins! take a look at 'preferences' → 'text' → 'columns & text distances'...

utnik

GarryP

Just to add to what utnik said, there is a way of having top and bottom borders but it's not a fantastic solution.

Try this:
* Draw a Table where you want your text frame to be;
* When asked, set the table to be 1 row and 1 column;
* Alt-click the table;
* Go to the Line tab of the Properties Palette;
* Check Line at Top and Line at Bottom (nothing happens visually yet);
* Set the line Width to what you want;
* Go to the Colours tab of the PP;
* Set the Line colour to be what you want (now you should be able to see the lines);
* Alt-double-click the Table to enter some text and format it as you would a normal text frame.

It's not a particularly good solution and you don't have a huge amount of control over what happens but, for most simple needs, it's better than having multiple objects.

You can resize the table but make sure that you have the whole table selected, and not just the cell via Alt-click. Note that un-grouping the table will destroy the top/bottom cell borders when Scribus converts the cells in the table to normal text frames (which is really what they are but with an extra "trick" for the cell walls).

See the attached sample document for two simple examples.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi garry

thank you for this one!
i didn't think about tables – interesting hack...

utnik

GarryP

You're welcome utnik.

The table functionality in Scribus is one of those things that is easily forgotten. They have such limited functionality beyond that of normal text frames that I've only ever played around with them and never used them in a real document. Useful for creating a regular grid of text frames, if you need such a thing, but not much extra use beyond that.