Author Topic: Can't use emojis  (Read 289 times)

daloonik

• Scribus User
Can't use emojis
« on: September 08, 2017, 06:02:06 pm »
I tried pasting an emoji into Scribus and it shows up as a blank rectangle/box.
However the same emoji 🎸 works just fine everywhere else.
Will Scribus have support for emojis in the future?

Nermander

Re: Can't use emojis
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:20:18 pm »
I doubt it works fine "everywhere else", what other places did you try?

My guess is that the problem here is that the font used does not contain emojis. Scribus i very strict when it comes to font use and only uses the exact font you have told it to use.

a.l.e

• Global Moderator
    • the graphics lab
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 07:27:13 pm »
well, that emoji is so well supported, that it even does not show in my browser : - )

anyway, it works in scribus and it's a guitar!
... i just had to copy paste the square from here into a scribus text frame and select an emoji font. of course.

i've used https://github.com/MorbZ/OpenSansEmoji

and https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/31625/are-there-any-free-emoji-fonts mentions a few more.

of course, you won't be able to use svg fonts in scribus. not yet. i think. so no colors. except black.

Nermander

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:33:27 am »
Maybe a little more explanation can be useful:

In many programs, when you paste a glyph that is not present in the currently selected font, the program automagically inserts a "temporary font change" for that glyph.

For example, in MS Word, if you have a text in Arial and paste a glyph from Wingdings, that glyph will be presented using the Wingdings font, while the rest of the text remains Arial.

In Scribus however, only the character code of the glyph is inserted, so if the glyph is not present in the currently selected font the glyph won't shown.

I think you can try this for example in a text editor like Notepad. In a text editor only the character codes are stored (not the font), so which glyph is shown depends on the font that the text editor uses. This means if two users use different fonts, they may see different glyphs from the same text file.

daloonik

• Scribus User
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 12:59:15 am »
Thanks for the replies. When I wrote that the emoji 🎸 would show up everywhere else, I meant that indeed it was working in Libreoffice, my browser, and even in Scribus' internal text editor. However it wouldn't show up in the text box on the document when I updated the window.

I ended up testing the glyph by selecting the font in Google Fonts and pasting the emoji as sample text and sure enough the glyph wasn't working. So it's indeed a font problem and not a Scribus problem. The Open sans emoji font displays the emoji correctly. thanks for the help everyone!

Jago

• Scribus User
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:30:53 am »
i've used https://github.com/MorbZ/OpenSansEmoji

Hi a.l.e
I downloaded that font and tried to write something in scribus with it but it doesn't worked. I see only a rectangle when copy paste into a text frame. I also tried with the Segoe UI Emoji from windows but all emojis are black rectangle. What do I do wrong? I trie to input this one: 😎 (Code: 1F60E)

thx for your support and have a good time...

Portreve

• Scribus User
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 05:14:27 pm »
While I'm not really sure why you'd want to stick an emoji into a page layout, daloonik, the underlying issue here is font availability anyhow.

If you create a layout, no matter what software you use to do this, and hand off that file to someone else, the receiver's ability to perceive that font is completely dependent upon them having the font installed on their system. This was a significant reason Adobe developed the Portable Document Format spec in the first place: we needed a way to trade files without worrying whether the target system shared the same font(s) or even the same creation software.

palmate