Nested Listing and Numbering

Previous topic - Next topic

Googly Googly

I want to create the following type of nested numbering in Scribus, not manually.
Main points:
--> I want a list which continues independent of any other style, section, page etc.
--> If desired the list must depend on some variable like other style, list, heading, page, section, form etc.
--> There should be an option whether this list has any bearing on the numbering pattern of any Heading or listing.
--> It should be possible to restart the list anywhere and with any starting number.
--> There should be an option by which one can include more such lists nested inside any of the Heading or Listing.

Here is the sample output which I want:

1. Heading-1 Chapter Name

1.1 Heading-2 Topic-1 name

Paragraphs- Scribus is a great sofware. Scribus is a great sofware. Scribus is a great sofware. Scribus is a great sofware. Scribus is a great sofware. Scribus is a great sofware.
The following benefits we derive:
1. Its free
2. It has strong community support
3. There are regular updates
4. There are regular upgrades

Paragraphs- Scrubus community is very helpful. Scrubus community is very helpful. Scrubus community is very helpful. Scrubus community is very helpful. Scrubus community is very helpful.

1.2 Heading-2 Topic-2 name

Paragraphs- Styles is a speciality. A wonderful tool. Styles is a speciality. A wonderful tool.Styles is a speciality. A wonderful tool. Styles is a speciality. A wonderful tool.Styles is a speciality. A wonderful tool. Styles is a speciality. A wonderful tool.Styles is a speciality. A wonderful tool. Styles is a speciality. A wonderful tool.
Following are the benefits of styles:
5. You can define a set of things in one style.
6. You can apply one styles to the similar contents
7. You can import a style.

Paragraphs- Styles are fabulous. Styles are fabulous. Styles are fabulous. Styles are fabulous.

1.3 Heading-2 Topic-3 Styles continued.

Paragraph- All must learn styles. Its very powerful. All must learn styles. Its very powerful. All must learn styles. Its very powerful. All must learn styles. Its very powerful.
Enumerated benefits are know:
8. You clone a style
9. You can nest the styles.
10. You can have parent superceding in any style.

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

Welcome to the forum Googly Googly.

As far as I know, this sort of thing isn't possible with Scribus, except when done manually. Bullets and numbering are very basic in Scribus.

You could get the text how you want it using LibreOffice and import it but that's not a very efficient solution.

These comments relate to the current stable version of Scribus - 1.4.6 - but I have no idea if later (developmental) versions do anything different. Maybe one of the 1.5.x users can advise differently. (This shows some promise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfpZXmqrXRY)

You could try a script - e.g. https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Bullets_and_numbered_lists - but you would probably have to mess around with it to get it working the exact way you want and that might take more time and/or effort than just doing it manually.

P.S. You might be able to wrangle the method given here https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Sequentially_Numbered_Items_-_Basic_Method to do something like what you want but I don't have high hopes.

Nermander

I am not sure how easy it is to do in Open/LibreOffice.

In MS Word you can have different "counters" for numbering, and decide when they should reset or continue.

But as Garry said, Scribus doesn't currently have features like this.

Googly Googly

Am using scribus-1.5.3-linux-x86_64.AppImage on Ubuntu 16.04. Its not installed from the repository. Hence, there said path to paste the Bullets.py file is not working.

I could figure out the solution very much in the Scribus itself. You may get the file attached below. It can be downloaded and styles nesting may be viewed to know what all is done there. Finally, my faith in the engineer and technologist is intact that when they design they try to take into account most of the necessities of the variety of users.

Long back I solved the puzzle of nesting and uploaded the file but didn't find time to write solution in details. Sorry for the delay.
I am not a technocrat. Hence, the words used may not be technically correct. However, my attempt is to explain how to make nested numbering. Please forgive me for the mistakes.

There are two parts of the necessity.
Part-1

• If I use Headings from 1 to 10 etc
  • Each heading is numbered
  • The numbers should be nested i.e. if the Heading 1 is numbered as 1, then Heading 2 should be number as 1.1, Heading 3 should be numbered as 1.1.1 and so and so on.
  • When again Heading 2 appears, it should have number as 1.2. If there is Heading 3 under it then it should get 1.2.1 and so on.
Part-2

• Directly under Heading 1 I may have a numbered list of say 5 items.
  • The list must beging with 1.
  • The numbering 1 for Heading 1 should not start the item of the list with number 2
  • Any new list, anywhere should begin with 1
  • There can be a need where there is a list which doesn't restart anywhere even if the headings come and go.
How to achive this is the question above. It is just restated in a new way.

Answer:
For Part-1

• Go to Edit>Styles. The Styles Manager will open.
Heading-1

• Click on New>Paragraph Style. A window will open on the right hand side.
  • In the Name: Give any name you want, say Heading 1
  • There are three tabs. Click the first tab- Properties. In the Based on select 'Default Paragraph Style'. Remaining things may under Properties will have no bearing on the numbering pattern.
  • Click on the next tab- Paragraph Effects. Check on Numbered List.
  • Nothing much to be done under the tab- Character Style. If you want to have the font etc of the Default Character Style, you can select under Based On: Default Character Style or any other style if you have specifically created for known reason.
Heading-2

• Click on New>Paragraph Style. A window will open.
  • In the Name: Give any name you want, say Heading 2
  • Click 'Properties' tab. In the Based on select 'Heading 1'.
  • Click 'Paragraph Effects' tab. Check on Numbered List.
  • Change the Level to 2
  • Character Style- As stated above under Heading-1
Heading-3

• Click on New>Paragraph Style. A window will open.
  • In the Name: Give any name you want, say Heading 3
  • Click 'Properties' tab. In the Based on select 'Heading 2'.
  • Change the Level to 3

For Part-2

New let us discuss the lists.
List-1

• Click on New>Paragraph Style.
  • In the Name: Give any name you want, say List 1
  • Click 'Properties' tab. In the Based on select is blank, i.e. not based on anything given.
  • You may write in 'Create New Set' named as anything like L1, myset etc.
  • Select that L1 under Set:
  • Keep other things as they are.
List-2

• Click on New>Paragraph Style.
  • In the Name: Give any name you want, say List 2
  • Click 'Properties' tab. In the Based on select is blank, i.e. not based on anything given.
  • Under Set: select Default
  • Keep other things as they are.
In the story editor, apply the styles as you wish and see the results for yourself.
Please note that if any changes are made to the styles and you click 'Apply' and 'Done' even then the effects may not appear in the document. To see the effects you may close the document and re-open it. At times restart the Scribus itself.
Some times, the nesting thus done appears ok. When some changes are made and the nesting order is changed, even if you come to the place where you were you may not get the original results. This is weired but it is so.
If you want to restart the list at every set of items, you need so many styles of Lists. It is not possible to use say List-1 for every set of items and every set restarts with number at 1 or any desired number. At least I fail to achieve this. If anyone comes up with any solution it will be very good.

[attachment deleted by admin]