Romanian diacritics can not be typed

Previous topic - Next topic

danimunte

In Scribus 1.4.6 installed on Linux Mint 18.2 64 bit  I have this problem:
With Romanian language and Romanian (standard) keyboard layout, some characters can not be typed  into Text Frame . These characters are: ă, ș, ț and Ă, Ș, Ț. Into Edit Text window, the characters ă, Ă can be typed, but the others indicated can not. When I key the other indicated characters, no typographic sign is displayed. (All these characters are typed correctly in LibreOffice).
Please, can you advise me how to solve this problem?
Many thanks,
Daniel

a.l.e

hi daniel

welcome to the forums.

the story editor, does not render the content as it will be printed.

one of the many differences: it does not (automatically) use the same font as it's used in the frame.

the solution to you problem is probaly: for your text you should use a font that contains the characters you need.
most good quality fonts will have them, but many "low quality" fonts only have the characters needed to display (and print) us american text.

hope that helps
a.l.e

danimunte

Hi a.l.e,
Thanks for your answer.
I tried with Arial, Times New Roman and other fonts. The characters which I need exist in these fonts. When I push the corresponding key on the keyboard does not appear any character on the screen. I tested again on Emmabuntus and got the same result. The solution to type the text in other softwware and then to copy it in Scribus is hard when I need to correct a text.
Best wishes,
Daniel

a.l.e

i know that there were issues in the past with composing characters with diacritics...
but i haven't heard about them for a long time.

question: can you compose "french"  characters like éàèç or germans like öäü?
they do work here...

ciao
a.l.e

radu81

Hi Daniel,
I just did a test on Win7 with both versions 1.4.6 & 1.5.3 and there is no problem to write those characters using Arial Font. Tonight I will try it from home where I have a Linux Mint 18.1 installation and let you know.
sorry for my bad english

danimunte

Hi Radu,
Thanks for your answer. You are right, on Windows 7 Scribus has not this problem. I did not test on a distro that is not based on Ubuntu.
Best regards,
Daniel

a.l.e

there used to be a long term bug on linux for the dead keys... but it should have been solved for years now...

danimunte

Hi a.l.e,
The German characters are typed correct.
Regards,
Daniel

radu81

Same problem as Daniel, on Linux Mint 18.1 64bit, there is no way to type "ș"  (ALT +s) Ș (ALT + Shift +s) ț (ALT +t) and Ț (ALT +  Shift + t). No problem in Libre Office or Chrome or other program to type those special characters. This is happening on Scribus 1.4.6 and also 1.5.4 latest version.
The only difference between the 2 versions of Scribus is that on 1.4.6 nothing happens when pressing the key combination, on 1.5.4 it displays a squared shape. I attach a couple of screenshoots.

I'd say it's a bug, how can we report it to developers?

=== edit ===
In LibreOffice Writer the characters are displayed correctly using Arial font, but not in Scribus. Strange part is if I change font to DejaVu Sans is working fine in scribus

[attachment deleted by admin]
sorry for my bad english

danimunte

Radu,
Have you tested on other SO, for example Fedora?
Regards,
Daniel

radu81

No, only tested in Linux Mint 18.1 64bit
sorry for my bad english

a.l.e

yes, this is something that should be reported as a bug...

i wonder why nobody reported it until now, though...

a.l.e

another user from an "eastern" (or central...) country also reported on irc that he was not able to type his diacritics...

in the meantime i could type the following characters on my debian with scribus 1.5.4:

ãðęąēāěĕėẹ

what works correctly here in firefox but not really in scribus is:

ąę

(in scribus it gets in as a two characters composition with a space afterwards).

i could not find how to type ș with my keyboard.

i really don't understand what's the rational behind what works and what not...

radu81

Quote from: a.l.e on September 02, 2017, 05:22:47 PM
i could not find how to type ș with my keyboard.
you need to install the romanian keyboard layout first, then switch to romanian keyboard.
On my laptop I use ALT GR + S
sorry for my bad english

danimunte

I got that pushing Alt+ key for diacritics types the character only in Story Editor.
All the best!
Daniel