Heading paragraph block protection.

Previous topic - Next topic

tampadave

I did not find this, and it may be that I'm not using the "correct" words for it, but how do I protect heading/paragraph continuity, where the heading does not get separated from its following paragraph?  This is a common feature, but I do not see it in 1.4.6.  I am new to scribus 1.4.6, this is my first time trying to do this here.  I have lots of orphaned/separated headings from their following paragraphs.  They look ridiculous, and as I edit the document, at anytime a new orphan could come up do to the copy re-flowing.

I did not find anything about it in the File Format Specification for Scribus 1.4.  I see group, in properties, but that's not letting me access it within a text frame.  I suspect I can group frames, but not stuff within a single frame. 

Thank you for your help, and for scribus.  Its really helping me out.

David

utnik

hi david

afaik this feature doesn't exist in scribus 1.4.6.
in the style manager of scribus 1.5.3 there's a checkbox to 'keep with next paragraph'.

utnik

tampadave

Poo.  Had a feeling.  That's hard to believe, but hey, I choose to use scribus, so here I am. 
I'm going to continue to look for a solution, or perhaps code one.  That would be good too.

Thanks for the reply.

GarryP

The only way round this that I can think of at the moment - and it's a horrible trick that probably shouldn't be used - would be to define two paragraph styles for the headings, one with the normal formatting and one with a very large spacing above the paragraph.

Format the text with the normal heading styles and when you find a heading that's been widowed apply the heading style with the large above-spacing.

When Scribus moves the heading to the next frame, the large above-spacing is ignored. If you edit the text then you will have to go back through it all changing the heading style as appropriate where needed.

Like I said, it's not a nice way of doing things, but it might work in some simple cases.

utnik

hi david
Quote from: tampadave on August 24, 2017, 01:46:09 PMI'm going to continue to look for a solution, or perhaps code one.

if the function is really essential (which it will be in the case of long texts with many headings but no real chapters), you should better move to scribus 1.5.3, i wouldn't recommend to implement new functions in 1.4.6 any more.

utnik

GarryP

I very much doubt that there will be any bug fixes or new features implemented in the 1.4 line of Scribus. It's gone over a year and a half without any changes and is - essentially - a "dead" application, as far as improvements go. If you want something more you have to "go experimental" with 1.5.x.