Document Setup not applying?

Previous topic - Next topic

dsigmon

Hello.  I'm using 1.4.6 on Windows 10 and have encountered a problem.  When I go to File -> Document Setup I am able to change the text under tools to what I want, but when I try to enter new text in the document it uses the default.  I have also tried to change the default text under File -> Preferences -> Tools to match what I want but that hasn't worked either.  I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction as I haven't yet found a solution here or on the web in general.

Thanks for your time.

a.l.e

those settings for the text tool in the document settings should probably be removed.

i don't think they have any effect.

on the other side, i think that the same settings in the preferences will be used to create the default styles for future documents.

in your case, you can change the default style in "edit > styles...".
this will correctly set the formatting used for new (and probably also the existing, where you have not applied any formatting) text frames.

GarryP

Welcome to the forum dsigmon.

As a.l.e has already said, "Document Setup" should be used to change the settings for the current document and "Preferences" should be used to change future document settings. (If they don't work that way then they need to be fixed.)

Until today, when I have been in to confirm the issue, I've never tried to change the text settings (on either OSX, Windows or Linux) via Document Setup or Preferences because it's far easier to do it via the Properties Palette, or Styles as a.l.e also mentioned.

Some of the settings in Document Setup / Tools / Text - for example, fill colour - are applied but not all are - e.g. font. It's a bit of a mish-mash of both text and frame settings in there. Possibly a hang-over from before styles were introduced perhaps? Best not to use them unless you really need to.

Maybe, since the font and font size settings have no effect - and therefore no-one can be using them - a good idea would be to take just the font and font size options out - so the user has to change the default style - and leave the rest in place since they might be used by some people.

You probably didn't find anything on the web about it because nobody uses it much, if at all.

a.l.e

hi garry

after reading dsigmon's remarks, i've submitted a ticket:

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=14949

:-)

GarryP