Cross-References?

Previous topic - Next topic

natewillsheets

Hi there,

I downloaded Scribus but I realized there is one critical thing I need in order to make the switch from Word, and that is the ability to cross reference. Word easily allows me to have multiple sentences in my work saying things like, "We will talk more about this on page 23", with "23" being a cross reference to a heading I choose. This allows headings to move from page to page as I piece together documents, and all of my references to other pages updated.

Can Scribus do this? If so, could you please link me to a tutorial? I did search, but I am not seeing anything recent. Thank you!

a.l.e

it's in scribus 1.5.3 as a new feature.
it's still not thoroughly tested but it seems to work:

- edit > marks
- insert > marks > ...

use it at your own risk...

ciao
a.l.e

GarryP

Just to add to what a.l.e said above, I briefly looked at the 'Marks' functionality in Scribus 1.5.0 - a good while ago, and I can't remember why - and it seemed to work fairly well back then. A bit "clunky" in the implementation but usable as long as you figured out how it worked. (From what I remember, it also allowed you to do more complex things but I can't remember any details.) I have no idea if any further work as been made on that functionality so I can't say that it will be entirely stable. As a.l.e says, it has not been thoroughly tested.

With this in mind I would recommend using 1.4.6 to get the document up to a point where it is finished except from the references and then editing a copy of the 1.4.6 file in 1.5.3 to finish it off. Edit a copy just in case you need to go back to 1.4.6 for whatever reason since 1.4.6 cannot read 1.5.x files. If you use place-holders for the references - e.g. ##, $$, @@, etc. - you can make it more likely that your text layout will not be changed too much by putting the references in. You will need to check for text overflows but the pre-flight viewer can help with this.

I don't think there will be any tutorials for this yet. You never know though, it might be part of a larger tutorial/guide.

You can have 1.4.6 and 1.5.3 installed on your machine at the same time - this is done differently on different OSes - so you can try it on a non-critical test document and see what you think.

Once you've mastered the 'Marks' functionality, maybe you could be the person to write the tutorial.