Disappearing object box while trying to move a guide line

Previous topic - Next topic

yamahacasio5353200

This happens in scribus 152 and 153.
If I need to align objects to a specific object's center point, I first select the object.  This gives me the center point of the object.  Now I want to set a guide to that exact point.  However, whenever I go to the edge of the screen to grab a guide, as soon as I click on the ruler the object gets deselected.  If I release the guide, the object selection reappears, sometimes.  Then if I click on the guide again to move it, the object gets deslected again, making my center object point disappear.
What am I doing wrong with this operation.
When doing the same thing in Inkscape, it functions just fine, without deselecting object.
It also works with Microsoft Expression Design, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Indesign.
What is different with Scribus?

a.l.e

from your description it's hard for me to say what you are doing "wrong".
or what scribus is doing wrong

but if you activate the "page > snap to item" option, you can just align the items to each other (even center to center)...

a.l.e

ok, i think that i see what you mean...

if if i would never do it the way you're doing it, it's indeed a bit awkward to see the item deselected and reselected afterwards.

i've filled a ticket for this: https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=14937

anyway, you will probably want to use the snapping to item... or just the "edit > manage guides" to place the guide at a given coordinate.
with 1.5.3, your way is probably the least comfortable one...

Nermander

It would be a nice feature if guides would honor the snap settings (I just tried in 1.5.2 and the guide didn't snap, while a drawn line did snap both to the edges and the center of test object).

a.l.e

there is a ticket for it https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3343 .

and, as i wrote in the ticket, now that we have snapping among items the feature would be even more welcome : - )

yamahacasio5353200

I just wanted to thank you for the extremely fast and accurate answer.  I did not expect an answer for quite some time as it is in most forums I use.
Your suggestion solved my problem, so thanks a lot.
A++ for this forum.