Scribus can't find Dejavu fonts

Previous topic - Next topic

jsandoval

Hi everyone.

I'm using Scribus 1.4.6 on a Debian 9 machine. I had a document that used mainly Dejavu fonts. I recently opened it but it asks for font substitution when I start Scribus and I can't see those fonts if I try to change them in the text boxes.

The dejavu packages are installed and I can use those fonts in LIbreoffice. Any help here?, I have no clue as to why the fonts are not working. They appear in the Available fonts dialog (but as Bitstream Charter Family, which I find weird) and they're enabled.

Thanks in advance.

a.l.e

the problem is with the freetype version shipped with debian.

freetype is the library used by scribus to parse fonts and the version currently in debian has a bug that produces errors with some glyphs in the dejavu font.

newer versions of the library do not show the issue. you're welcome to fill a ticket (or +1 an existing ticket) on the freetype package for debian!

ciao
a.l.e

jsandoval

Thanks for the answer. I'll check the bugs for a +1.

¿Is there any workaround?. I tried downloading the fonts and messing a little with the path but I haven't solved anything.

a.l.e

the workaround would be to compile the newest freetype and then scribus by linking to it.

personally, i would not do it.

i can try to ping our debian maintainer and see if he has a clue, why the update of freetype has not been accepted yet...

a.l.e

ok, after a few tests, i have an update:

- debian testing has freetype 2.8.0, which does not has the bug affecting the way dejavu is seen by scribus.
- scribus will not automatically recognize again dejavu, you first have to manually force scribus to re-create the font cache by
  - quitting scribus,
  - removing (or, better renaming) the ~/.config/scribus/checkfonts150.xml file
  - starting scribus
- debian stable (stretch, debian 9) still has 2.6.3 and i'm not sure if it will ever get 2.6.5+ (the ones without the bug)
- the relevant bug in debian was https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=837800 ... closed.

personally, if you're not using your computer as a server, i would suggest you to use debian testing instead of debian stable for desktop usage.

hope that helps...
a.l.e

jsandoval

Thanks for the help. I just recently upgraded to stretch, hehe, but as this es my personal computer so I can go with testing (I usually wait a little before going to testing, but I'll do it to have the bug in freetype fixed).

Again, thanks. You're really kind.