Tamil fonts

Previous topic - Next topic

m s narayanan

Dear all
I am using 1.5.3 version.
I have created a document in Tamil language using open office.
I am unable to get this document in text frame. I converted the document to PDF and tried to get it in text or image frame.  The canvas shows small squares and not Tamil fonts.
Please help me.
M S Narayanan

Nermander

I do not know the solution, but why are you going the way by PDF? PDF is intended as an end format and not an intermediate format.

Scirbus can, as far as I know, import text directly from an Open Office Writer document.

m s narayanan

Dear sir
No problem in getting the English document into text frame.  The problem is that the Tamil fonts are supported by scribus.  Both English and Tamil document are open office documents.
Your help is needed to get the Tamil document in the text frame.  The canvas shows small squares instead of Tamil fonts.  Although while trying to edit story writer shows the Tamil fonts.

M S Narayanan

a.l.e

hi m s,

can you please share a snippet of your .ODT file and tell use which font you are using?

have fun
a.l.e

m s narayanan

dear ole
i am attaching a pdf document/
i have typed it in unicode - any tamil font
such as catamaran, saiindia etc., is sualso
also it is based on phonetic transliteration.

m s narayanan

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi narayanan

like nermander, i don't understand why you use a .pdf file.
but i can place your document in an image frame and the result looks fine in scribus and in the exported .pdf file. (just tested with scribus 1.4.6 and 1.5.3...)

utnik

m s narayanan

Dear utnik
I tried to send the document in odt format. But a message popped in saying that such formatted
Document cannot be posted. Hence PDF.
To overcome my problem as a temporary measure, can I create an image frame and get the PDF file directly.  I shall try though it is not a permanent solution.
M S Narayanan

utnik

hi narayanan

Quote from: m s narayanan on July 10, 2017, 02:59:06 AMI tried to send the document in odt format. But a message popped in saying that such formatted Document cannot be posted.

to attach an .odt file, you have to compress it as a .zip file. (and if we should be able to check it out, include the used font, as the problem could lie there...)

utnik

m s narayanan

dear mr utnik
as suggested i am attaching a zip file which is in tamil fonts.
the font i used in arial unicode ms.  it is phonetic transliteration.
for example, if i type "how are you" in english the same is
transliterated in tamil: ஹௌ ஆர் யு
k = க்  a = a (vowel) and k+a = க
hope these information are sufficient to test the problem at your
end.  in case you are successful in getting the document in
text frame, i would request you please to send the folder to
me for me to understand how to do it.

thanks

m s narayanan

m s narayanan

dearsir
i am sending the zip file again fearing that you may not be able
to open the zip file.

m s narayanan

utnik

hi narayanan

i could open both of your files, but as i don't have the font 'arial unicode ms', ican't check if it works for me. (that's why i suggested to include the font...)

utnik

m s narayanan

Dear utnik
Honestly I was under the impression that when browsed through the fonts one will be able to know the font's name. Please advise me as to how and where I could include the font. And it will be sent to you.
Sorry for giving trouble.
M S Narayanan

m s narayanan

dear sir
may i request to get the tamil fonts by web-searching
free tamil fonts - azhagi.

thanks

m s narayanan

a.l.e

dear sir m s

please have a look at the attached pdf and tell me if the text from the odt is rendered correctly.

i have created it with scribus 1.5.3 and used the catamaran font.
but i have no way to tell if what is rendered makes any sense. sorry.

greetings
a.l.e

m s narayanan

Dear a l e
Great! this is as per odt document.
Were you able to get the text to text frame. Please let me know the trick.  I have catamaran fonts, which was created by Oriya an year ago.
Please advise what I should do at my end.
Thanks
M S Narayanan