Color management

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruud

Hallo community,
A new experience for me: first time on a forum  :o and new to Scribus!
I have Scribus 1.4.6 installed with Mint 18 and I am struggling with color management.

My idea is that I'm missing something. In the preferences should not there be an icon between "Preflight controle" and "PDF Export" (see my screenshot)?
Am I correct in assuming I need that to reduce the color-differences between my PDF-sRGB and PDF-CMYK output?

Thanks in advance for your help
Ruud

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

Welcome to the forum Ruud.

Are you sure you're in Preferences and not Document Setup?
In Document Setup, Colour Management can come at the end of the icons instead of the middle (I don't know why).

Ruud

Hy GarryP,
Yes, Iḿ sure the picture I attached is in Preferences. But I looked in the documentsettings and could not find the icon (the umbrella) there either.

regards
Ruud

utnik

hi ruud

could you check the 'about scribus' screen?
the first 'C' of this 'C-C-T-F' stands for 'littlecms'. if it doesn't show, lcms is missing – this could hide the symbol for the color management...

utnik

Ruud

Thanks for your reaction.
The infoscreen looks the same, although.... mine is without color! Has something gone wrong during instalation?
I have to go now  :( but will check for "littlecms" later

regards
Ruud

GarryP

This is outside my particular skill-set now so I'll leave it to the experts to help further but I've just looked at a Mint Cinnamon 17.3 installation I've had in a VM for a while and the Scribus version available via the Software/Package Manager is displayed as 1.4.2 so it might be useful if you explain how you installed 1.4.6.

For instance, if your installation - for whatever reason - contained no ICC profiles then there wouldn't be anything to manage. This is just a guess though and might have nothing to do with the issue.

Ruud

I re-installed Scribus and used the softwaremanager as I did the first time. Checked for the 'C-C-T-F' mentioned by utnik and it is there. Now I checked in the lower right corner and saw the color-icon grey..... Cloud that be the course of my problem?
Again I have a grey 'about scribus' screen, and again 1.4.6.

Thank you all for input
Ruud

Ruud

Disapointing! No improvement! no 'umbrella' in the preferences!
ICC profiles are at /usr/share/color/icc; preferences-ICCprofiles grey......

is the someone with a solution?
Ruud

Ruud

more info /R

a.l.e

just a guess: you might not have any icc profiles on your computer...

Ruud

Thank you all for your input...
This weekend Scribus 1.4.6 was installed on the system of an experienced Linux-user. This was too on a Mint18 64 system. We used the same procedure, installation from the software-manager and he made a check for LittleCMS and the icc's: all present and correct.
But here neither an umbrella for colormanagement!!
Conclusion? Do not expect Scribus to handle your colors correctly en check, check and dubbelcheck the colors you send to your printing partners (They should and probably can check this issue). Probably the best way is to send your work to your printing-partners as PDF-sRGB and ask them to convert!
It is a shame Scrubus can not handle this >:(

Regards
Ruud

a.l.e

well, for what i can tell, the advice could also be: never use mint for serious work!
as it seems that mint cannot handle this.

in the last few years, i don't think i've ever heard of anybody who failed to use the color management with Scribus, except when users are not able to correctly install their software.

in your case, if you have not tweaked anything and if you have installed all the packages your package manager is suggesting, i can only think that the package you're getting is not correct.
which would be a fail of the mint package owner.

there is nothing scribus can do, to fix that.
really, if your icc profile and lcms are correctly installed, scribus will find them.

GarryP

I've just installed Scribus on an old VM of Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64bit (I know it's not the same version but it's what I had easily to hand).

The Software Manager reports the Scribus version as 1.4.2.dfsg+r18267-1ubuntu2.
The splash screen (in colour) reports Scribus as 1.4.2.
The Title Bar reports Scribus as 1.4.3svn (far too many packages seem to use svn versions).

The Colour Management icon (umbrella) shows in Preferences and can be activated however the RGB, RGB Solid Colours and Monitor profile names are displayed as gibberish (seemingly random characters including outlined rectangles.) That doesn't seem to be related to the original issue but is a bit worrying all the same.

I then downloaded a fresh copy of Mint Cinnamon 18.1 64-bit (no updates, just installed straight from the University of Kent's mirror today) and installed it in a brand new VM.

The Software Manager reports the Scribus version as 1.4.6+dfsg-2ubuntu0.1.
The splash screen reports Scribus as 1.4.6 (but is greyscale).
The Title Bar reports Scribus as 1.4.6.

The Colour Management icon is not available in Preferences.
Build ID from the help screen shows as C-C-T-F-C1.14.6-64bit.
ICC Profiles text field in Preferences/General is greyed-out and the Change button for the profiles cannot be clicked.

That suggests to me that - as a.l.e said above - Scribus is not packaged correctly for Mint 18.1 (or 17.3 either for that matter).

GarryP

Just for the heck of it I've just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit into a fresh VM too (I can't see anyone saying that Ubuntu is a "weird" choice for someone to install).

The Software Manager reports Scribus as version 1.4.6+dfsg-4.
The Splash Screen shows as version 1.4.6 (but, again, greyscale).
Title Bar shows version as 1.4.6.

In Preferences the Colour Management icon is available and, once CM has been activated, there are many profiles available, all with proper names.

Everything looks fine and dandy there (except the weird greyscale splash screen, like looking at Scribus from the 1940's).

Is it worth someone keeping a list of Linux flavours, which Scribus versions are installed by their Software/Package managers, and whether Scribus works "out of the box"?

So far - in this thread - we have:
* Mint 17.3 - Scribus 1.4.3svn - Unstable Scribus version and possible issues with RGB profiles
* Mint 18.1 - Scribus 1.4.6 - Does not include ICC profiles for colour management (probably)
* Ubuntu 17.04 - Scribus 1.4.6 - All looks fine

I think a better conclusion would be: "Don't trust your software/package manager to have the latest stable version of Scribus and, even if it does, don't trust it to be packaged properly".

a.l.e

as complement to what garry has been writing:

- if you're using os x or windows (or any other OS that relies on downloads), only trust the download links from the scribus download page (http://www.scribus.net/downloads/)

- if you're using an OS that relies on a package manager, scribus might or not be at fault when something does not work correctly. but the packager could also be at fault.

- at the time of writing, if you're using debian or ubuntu (even the PPA from https://launchpad.net/~scribus/+archive/ubuntu/ppa), you can be pretty sure that the packaging has been done correctly (the scribus bug tracker is "full" of tickets and patches by the marvelous packager).