ICC and PDF X formatting (Solved)

Previous topic - Next topic

katalia369

I have been working a side job for several years now as an editor and pre-press agent for a small publisher. Before I was in windows but finally was able to find a system of linux with apps that I could use for this purpose and converted everything over. YAY MINT!

I am running:
Scribus 1.4.3
LibreOffice 5.1.5.2
Mint 17.3
Cinnamon 2.8.8 64 Bit
AMD Athlon Dual Core 4850B
4GB RAM
All plugged into an Asus m2n68-se2

Its all older hardware but it is my nice stable workhorse.

So I create and edit files in LibreOffice, then load them over to Scribus for formatting to page size, printer bleeds, margins, etc. After this I attempt to use Scribus to convert the files to PDF for the printer.

That's where it gets tricky. The one print service wants everything submitted in PDF/X-1a:2001 or PDF/X-3:2002 for colour management reasons. Fair enough, except that the interior of my current edit is in complete grey scale. Scribus colour management menus will not allow you to select the X types of PDF because there is no colour to manage.  ???

SO I need to find either
A) another program to suit my needs for this print service or
B) a way to trick Scribus into bringing up colour management options for grey scale interiors

Any help/hope what-so-ever is greatly appreciated.

Kat

utnik

hi kat
Quote from: katalia369 on May 14, 2017, 07:43:21 PMThe one print service wants everything submitted in PDF/X-1a:2001 or PDF/X-3:2002 for colour management reasons. Fair enough, except that the interior of my current edit is in complete grey scale. Scribus colour management menus will not allow you to select the X types of PDF because there is no colour to manage.

unfortunately i couldn't work out a way to use a grayscale profile with scribus so far – the following workaround did the trick:

• first, you should upgrade to scribus 1.4.6 (or at least 1.4.4, the first version with support for .pdf/x-1a...)
  • apply the 'grayscale' filter to your images ('extras' → 'manage images → 'image effects')
  • activate the color management and scribus will offer .pdf/x-1a in the .pdf export window – select it!
the resulting .pdf file should be a cmyk file, but with three empty channels – at least if all your text and graphic elements are pure shades of black.

utnik

katalia369

;D

YAY

Thank You so much. That did the trick!

Kat