Green shadows on images if CMS enabled; FSViewer or Gimp?

Previous topic - Next topic

LesCM19

Totally new to Scribus, having a play around with the tutorial.

So I've put this image in an image frame.
Is the intention of this near the start of the tutorial to use the image as a background behind the text if it is saved as a master page?
Secondly, why the green shadows when CMS is enabled? Is it because I've edited the image with FSViewer (and do I have to use Gimp, FSV has always been all I need?)

[attachment deleted by admin]
cheers

Les

utnik

hi les
Quote from: LesCM19 on April 24, 2017, 05:32:30 PM...Is the intention of this near the start of the tutorial to use the image as a background behind the text if it is saved as a master page?

i don't know the tutorial. but an image on a masterpage doesn't make sens, unless you need it unchanged on many document pages.
QuoteSecondly, why the green shadows when CMS is enabled?

the green color is an 'out of gamut' warning. it marks colors not reproducible in the selected output profile. you can activate/deactivate the warning under 'file' → 'document setup' → 'color management' → 'mark colors out of gamut'.

utnik

LesCM19

Ah, could it be then that the image I used for this exercise simply unsuitable (in layman's terms) to be used as some kind of watermark behind the text, if that is what this function is for (again, in layman's terms)? If I used a washed out high key greyscale image it might work.

The 'out of gamut' warning I get and can accept if it is telling you what you are doing just isn't going to work. Useful to get a heads up that something's not compatible.
cheers

Les

LesCM19

OK, so I got the background to appear more or less how I intended on the master pages but I'm not sure it was the right method.

In FSViewer I made it greyscale then changed the brightness so that the darker parts weren't 'out of gamut' and finally adjusted the transparency on the master page.
Added example text and picture frames but as you can see, the images have the 'out of gamut' highlighting.

What I need to know is what is wrong with my images if they won't print correctly, the one used is a 4196x2506 350x350 dpi 24 bit jpg and in the image info pop up box it says it's an sRGB IEC61966-2.1 image.

*****Resolved I think
it seems the images I want to use will have to be saved as CMYK which now work fine

[attachment deleted by admin]
cheers

Les

utnik

hi les
Quote from: LesCM19 on April 25, 2017, 12:10:03 PM...what is wrong with my images if they won't print correctly...

there will be some color shift while converting to cmyk, as the color space is not the same in rgb and in cmyk.
Quote...it seems the images I want to use will have to be saved as CMYK which now work fine

i would recommend to let scribus do the rgb-to-cmyk conversion while exporting the .pdf file – but always take a close look at your print files...

utnik

LesCM19

Quote from: utnik on April 25, 2017, 10:04:01 PM
there will be some color shift while converting to cmyk, as the color space is not the same in rgb and in cmyk...

i would recommend to let scribus do the rgb-to-cmyk conversion while exporting the .pdf file – but always take a close look at your print files

I did notice the images lost a little contrast in my editor program. Would there be less of a change if I left it to Scribus while exporting? (thx, I didn't know it would do that)
cheers

Les

utnik

hi les
Quote from: LesCM19 on April 26, 2017, 02:42:17 PMI did notice the images lost a little contrast in my editor program. Would there be less of a change if I left it to Scribus while exporting?

there are different ways to convert colors – even if the profiles are the same. but when you let scribus do it, you don't run in a cmyk-to-cmyk conversion, if you need a different output profile. (i.e. 'pso coated' instead of 'iso coated'...) – and you can export a .pdf file for screen use from the same workfile without losing contrast...
...but you will always lose some contrast on the way from screen to print...

utnik