Default Styles in Scribus 1.5.2

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonard03

Not exactly sure where to post this, but currently the defaults for the Default Character Style is chosen in alphabetical order. I don't know if that's on purpose or a bug, but it's very disorientating, since for me the first font wasn't even an English one. It ends up being bold as well.
<insert witty line here>

a.l.e

you're right.

i have opened a ticket for this:

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=14708

can anybody suggest a list of 3-4 good (free as in freedom) fonts that scribus should try to find on the system?

utnik

hi ale

scribus might look for:

• 'linux biolinum'
  • 'linux libertine'
  • 'linux libertine mono'
  • 'open sans' or 'dejavu sans'
  • or the whole 'dejavu' series ('serif', 'sans', 'mono')
utnik

Leonard03

Out of all the ones you mentioned utnik the only one installed on my system (Lubuntu 16.0.2) are the Dejavu ones, but those do seem pretty good.
btw, where would ya'll recommend picking up some more good quality fonts?
<insert witty line here>

utnik

hi leonard

Quote from: Leonard03 on March 27, 2017, 09:45:19 PMbtw, where would ya'll recommend picking up some more good quality fonts?

yes, it's sometimes hard to find free high quality fonts...
the 'linux libertine' and 'biolinum' can be found here.
as i don't know your needs, i can't recommend any specific font. but fontsquirrel is a rich source of partly really good stuff...

utnik

a.l.e

well, yes, it was about good (free) fonts that are likely to be installed on somebody's computer...

i guess that the last ones should be (good but not free) fonts that are pre-installed on windows and/or mac...

utnik

hi ale

'dejavu' is widely spread under linux, and even some windows and mac users work with it.
but as a lot of win and mac users don't care about extending what the os provides, you won't find a common font across the usual plattforms.

utnik

a.l.e

hi

for now i retain:

- linux libertine regular
- dejavu sans
- open sans
- helvetica regular
- arial regular

which imo gives a free default for people who have installed a "standard" free font and a sane default to the mac and windows friends that only have the system fonts installed.

is that ok?
should i add the list to the ticket?

p.s.: i have never seen biolinum installed... so i dare to take it out of the list... it's about having a sane default the first time scribus is installed : - )

GarryP

The tables here: http://www.apaddedcell.com/web-fonts might provide some extra information. (They're a bit old and not "comprehensive" but might come in handy.)

For me, a reasonable list might be:
* Arial
* Verdana
* Helvetica
* Georgia
* Times New Roman
* Times

Not every system has all of them but you're almost certain to find one from that list on just about every machine.

And just to add a bit of extra fun to the discussion: What about packaging a "default font" with Scribus? That way it will always exist for every installation and every copy of Scribus will work the same way where the default font is concerned. (If a font already exists on the machine with the same name then don't use the packaged one in case the user's version is preferred - for whatever reason.)

utnik

hi ale

Quote from: a.l.e on March 28, 2017, 01:43:54 PMfor now i retain:

- linux libertine regular
- dejavu sans
- open sans
- helvetica regular
- arial regular

which imo gives a free default for people who have installed a "standard" free font and a sane default to the mac and windows friends that only have the system fonts installed.

is that ok?
should i add the list to the ticket?

i'm not sure, if 'arial' is still present in windows 10 – otherwise the list should be ok.

Quote from: GarryP on March 28, 2017, 03:36:54 PM...What about packaging a "default font" with Scribus?

i don't like the idea – it's the beginning of a font set (might even lead to things like clip art galleries...)

utnik

CGood

"clip art galleries".

Such things are not to be spoken of in polite company.

One default font, however, seems not a bad idea. But then the question is which font, and then the Great Scribus Food Fight begins. Perhaps we could agree to take up the topic in 2025 or so...

tim_occ

I like the idea of a standard font which is used in Scribus styles as default. If I remember right Adobe do the same thing in Indesign. They uses "Minion Pro" if I'm right.

It doesn't matter if Scribus will uses a unified font on all operation systems or one OS specific font. In any case there is a danger that people will use the standard. Whatevever.

But if there will be a standard font Scribus have to check if there is a newer version of the "standard font" already installed. In my point of view a good font shall have different font weights, a huge range of supported languages (languages specific characters) and some specials, like ligatures.

A bit off topic: Personally I would prefer to have some hand picked font set which come with Scribus. It is easier for beginners to start with some presets, similar like color sets. For sure professionals will create their own "package" of ressources with fonts, templates, etc.

Martin

CGood

As far as fonts with broad language coverage, isn't the Noto family pretty much the champ?

utnik

Quote from: CGood on March 29, 2017, 05:19:21 AM
As far as fonts with broad language coverage, isn't the Noto family pretty much the champ?

great! now we're talking about a family with more than 100 individual font files – that's the beginning of something i really dislike...

utnik

a.l.e

eh eh tim

i'm pretty sure that if you create a package of good free fonts, it will be linked from the scribus manual / website / ... and it could even be packaged in linux distributions...

but i'm also not that fond about providing such a package with scribus itself...

ciao
a.l.e