Backgrounds of transparent images suddenly showing up as white

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapsking

I have almost finished my project, and suddenly, when I print it, the images show up with a white background, instead of being transparent.  This never used to happen, and I think I accidentally changed some setting, and can't figure out how to revert it back.  I'm using version 1.5.2 on Windows 7 Ultimate, and the images have not changed, and when exporting to .PDF, it will print without the white box.  It does not show up except for the print preview option, and of course, when actually printing.  What other information should I provide?  It is driving me crazy, and hopefully someone can help me figure out what I changed, or more importantly, what to do to get it back to the way it was?

a.l.e

which pdf version are you using for the export?

many pdf standards do not support transparencies...

as an example, pdf 1.4 and pdf 1.5 do support them.
but take care: even if those "newer" standards have been around for a long time, your print shop might not accept them or break them.

a.l.e

ah, don't print from scribus, create a pdf and use a (good) pdf reader for printing the pdf.

Mapsking

I've been (an still am) using PDF 1.5, and up until recently, the print preview did not show white backgrounds in Scribus, but now they do.  I'm printing on my HP Laserjet M521nw printer, not sending to a commercial printer, and I export to a .pdf, and use Foxit Reader.  Is that a "good" .pdf program to use?  I wanted to try printing directly from Scribus instead of a .pdf, as it is a three face brochure I've made, and the margins are printing at inconsistent distances from the left to right margin, and I wanted to test to see if it was coming from the /pdf reader, but I think maybe it was because I had two sided printing turned on.