Deleting or Removing a Custom Template

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnJR

Hi Folks,

I created my own "custom template" for a book interior.  I made some changes to that template and thought I was saving the template with the changes.  Somehow, I think through a Document save box, I created a new duplicate template both named the same.  In essence there are two templates named the same.  I want to delete one of the two, but can't find a path to do this.  There is mention of removing a template with reference to .xml that is too arcane for me.  I happen to be using OS X 10.11.6 if that matters.  I tried selecting the template and clicking Delete.  I tried selecting template and dragging it to the trash or to the desktop.  Neither of these worked.

How do I remove or delete a custom template from "Own Templates"?

I thought I saw a path to do this but can't find it now; how do I make changes to my template and save them to the existing template?

Thanks again,

utnik

hi john

take a look at 'preferences' → 'general' → 'paths' → 'document templates' – along this path you should find your template in a directory with the same name as the template.
if the two templates are in the same directory and you delete one of them, you should edit the .xml file as well...

utnik

JohnJR

Hi Utnik,

I tried going the route you suggested and couldn't find the right text to enter into "document templates".  Also it looks like that, and anything .xml are things us amateurs have any business messing with anyway.  It's not the end of the world, so I guess I'll just leave it alone.

Rummaging around I did find one what's called "Mantis issue" (0007164) that pretty well summed it up.  It didn't look like something that is going to be addressed any time soon.

Is there any updates coming down the pike concerning this issue?  Otherwise I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.

Thanks anyway,

John

utnik

hi john
Quote from: JohnJR on March 02, 2017, 10:03:28 PM...I did find one what's called "Mantis issue" (0007164) that pretty well summed it up...

this is about the standard templates. your custom templates can be stored almost everywhere (according to the path i mentioned...)
Quote.xml are things us amateurs have any business messing with anyway.

i'm not a coder, but .xml files are quite readable...

utnik

JohnJR

Hi Utnik,

I've let this issue slide for the moment.  I tried entering the name of my template, "Manuscript" in the blank under document templates and nothing happened.  I also tried entering "Own Templates/Manuscript" and nothing happen.  From the favored use of the term "directory" and things like forward slashes ( / ) and cryptic words in courier-type font styles, I gather that this is more part of a Windows world in general discussions than us plug-and-play Apple types get: linuxes, unixes, and pythons notwithstanding.

Anyway when I see things like .xml (given what Google says it is), and the dreaded .../Library/... I run away in terror as fast as I can hoping not to have turned my computer into a bubbling mass headed towards the center of the Earth by some errant squiggle on my Magic Trackpad.  And anyway, its the least of my concerns now.  Given its only a minor irritant for me, I might never worry about it again.

Thanks for your suggestions, someday I might be brave enough to further explore them.  Or someone might take up your directions and post the results in the future.

Nermander

I am afraid that it seems as if Apple should be given the blame for your problems, understanding paths and folders/directories is (IMO) essential in understanding how a computer works. By trying to hide these from the user, Apple is making it harder for the users to understand what their computer is doing.

utnik

Quote from: Nermander on March 12, 2017, 09:40:21 AM...it seems as if Apple should be given the blame for your problems...

you may give apple the blame for a lot of things – but not in this case.
just go to the 'path' section of the scribus settings, look for 'document templates' click 'change' and navigate through your folders. (no need to care about slashes or backslashes...)

utnik

Nermander

What I meant is that Apples users don't understand the concept of a path, because Apple has done what they can to hide that concept from users.

Sure, there are folders, but the concept of "stacking" folders with a / between them is not inutitive to someone who is only used to graphical presentations of the file tree.

The  folder selection dialog probably solves this though.

JohnJR

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to absorb your last two suggestions and keep running into the same wall.  To better illustrate this I'm enclosing two screen shots.  The first from File > New from Template > Own Templates, where you see the collection of offenders I want to delete.  The second from Preferences > General > Paths.

In the second I tried just leaving it blank and hitting change; Nothing meaningful happens except to choose /Users/John.  What you see in the screen shot is the information I entered to try to make it as specific as possible before hitting change.  The second half of the screen shot shows what pops up then.  None of these options seemed to present anything identifiable in them, even the dreaded Library folder.  I seem to have left Scribus completely.  By the way, I keep my working Scribus files visible on my desktop, not tucked away somewhere like in Documents.  Is there something in there I should specifically be looking for?  Or is there something else I should be inputting into the Paths > Document Templates screen shot shot that is more appropriate?

Thanks,

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi john

Quote from: JohnJR on March 18, 2017, 11:35:16 PM...What you see in the screen shot is the information I entered to try to make it as specific as possible before hitting change.  The second half of the screen shot shows what pops up then.

you may have entered a non existing path!
either you create the folders in your file system and navigate to them in the window on the right of your screenshot, or you navigate there and create the missing folders on the fly with the 'new folder' button on the lower left corner of the window.

this is not scribus specific stuff – it's the way the finder (and other file managers) works.

utnik