letter size page, not A4

Previous topic - Next topic

judyisenhour

I set up my document in File > Preferences > Document for a letter page size measured in inches. My master page does show the rulers in inches, but the size of the page is A4, not letter. Is there another location where one specifies the page size?

CGood

Hello judyisenhour!

If you are using 1.4.6, in File > Preferences > Document  look above Units and Orientation and you'll see Size , which you can set to Letter size.

If you are using 1.5.1, go to File > Preferences > Page Sizes and then select Letter from the left hand list. Use the arrows in the middle to make it show up in the right side and then select the unwanted entry for A4 and then click the left pointing arrow to remove A4.

GarryP

judyisenhour, in general, "File -> Preferences" deals with the Scribus defaults - settings that will be applied to future documents - while "File -> Document Setup" deals with the current document. Changing the settings in "Preferences" will not usually have much effect on the current document (except in certain cases not relevant here).

Also, to change an individual page, rather than the whole document, you can use "Page -> Manage Page Properties".

utnik

garry specified the right place to change the page size of a current document. but you need to apply the changes to all document pages (checkbox below the settings for the page size). otherwise the changes won't affect the existing pages. (this is part of the basic philosophy of scribus: no part of an existing layout will be changed unless you told explicitly to do it...)

utnik

GarryP

That's very important information that I forgot to add, thanks utnik.

To recap (with hopefully more precision):

* "File -> Preferences / Document" sets the page size (and other options) that are the defaults that will show in the New File dialogs (including the start-up one). These settings do not affect the current document.
* "File -> Document Setup / Document" sets the page size (and other options) for future pages in the current document.
* "File -> Document Setup / Document" with "Apply settings to: All Document Pages" checked sets the page size (and other options) for future pages in the current document AND all existing pages.

If you need to change existing page sizes individually - if your pages are not all the same size or you don't want them to be - then you need to use "Page -> Manage Page Properties" on every page you need to change.

Hopefully that's made things clearer.

judyisenhour

Many thanks to you all for your help.