Lost Text when unlinking

Previous topic - Next topic

puzzled

I imported my *.doc file into Scribus, and it was impossible to format because it was so slow..  Of course I had labouriosly linked the pages, so I thought that might be the problem.  I started unlinking some pages, and the text disappears.  Help!

OOOps--now I have the first eight pages--I'm losing my mind.

utnik

Quote from: puzzled on February 19, 2017, 12:01:43 AM...I had labouriosly linked the pages, so I thought that might be the problem.

yes, it is – a huge amount of text in one text chain is known to slow dowm scribus.

QuoteI started unlinking some pages, and the text disappears.

it is still there, but as an overflow in the first text chain (and therefore invisible...)

if you work with linked text frames, you should import one chapter (or other logical part, depending on the project) at a time, then you unlink the chain and import the next chapter into the following frame, etc.

utnik

puzzled

Thanks so much!!  I'll try that.  (I assume that my *.doc file has to be broken up into separate *.doc files.)

utnik

Quote from: puzzled on February 19, 2017, 02:32:30 PM...I assume that my *.doc file has to be broken up into separate *.doc files.

either that, or you deal with copy/paste (between word and sribus or after the import into a temporary text frame...)

utnik

puzzled

Thanks.  That does sound easier.