minimum DPI for optimal printed output?

Previous topic - Next topic

mwatkins

I was having problems with Scribus crashing because the total size of all my images files was too large. So now I'm in the process of reducing the file sizes. [I posted something about this on another board and got given some links by user GarryP with a lot of detailed info, but I suspect the answer I'm seeking is quite simple.]

I'm working with a few dozen A4-sized drawings which I scanned in at 600DPI, so the images are currently TIFFs, each in the order of 50-100MB. I realise now that this is unnecessarily high-res (in print, the images are going to appear typically 5-10cm wide/high).

In GIMP, I can separately set the DPI of, and resize, my images. But I'm finding it hard to get clear information on the optimal settings for images within a .sla as regards the final printed output.

I've noticed Scribus gives warnings when I export to PDF if an image is below 144DPI - what's the relevance of that figure? I also read somewhere I should be using "at least 300DPI" for printing purposes. But would higher DPI lead to a better image quality? Or is 300 some kind of cut-off above which it doesn't matter?

Some simple advice on how to resize/prepare images before inserting them into my .sla (for best printed results) would be very welcome. Thanks!

CGood

If you are going to print at a print shop, can you print out representative samples of images and bring them to your printer to get their recommendations on dpi for your final output?

utnik

hi matthew

Quote from: mwatkins on February 07, 2017, 05:14:46 PM...a few dozen A4-sized drawings which I scanned in at 600DPI...
...in print, the images are going to appear typically 5-10cm wide/high...

so ypu'll end up with more than 1700 ppi!

Quote...I'm finding it hard to get clear information on the optimal settings for images within a .sla as regards the final printed output.

i gave you some advice in the other thread!

QuoteI also read somewhere I should be using "at least 300DPI" for printing purposes. But would higher DPI lead to a better image quality?

depends on the effective print raster! – ask your printshop!

utnik