need to align - horizontal lines, a score board - rating of skills...

Previous topic - Next topic

unoder

Hi all,

This is my first question - I've tried googling, I can't figure it out... I need to align horizontal lines with text - I call it something like a score board - rating skills, I don't know if this has another name (short lines for low valued skills and longer lines for highly valued skills)... I have something like this shown in the attached file (question: how do I insert the uploaded image directly here?)... Anyway, as you see in the "score_o_meter.png"-file, I have some text to left. And then I made some lines to the right (they're all the same length, later I'll give a "skills-based score" or valuation... I just don't understand how I correctly align the horizontal lines to each text line ???

I also tried "Insert render frame" with LaTeX-code, but I went away from that again as I think it made everything unnecessary complicated... Any hints? If so, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

unoder

Update: I found an ugly solution + I hereby upload "demo.sla" if you want to what I've done. My really really ugly "solution" is to extend temporary lines in the text-box, which enables me to manually position each of the red "skill-bars"... In the attached PNG-file, an example is shown where "skill 1 programming" is the highest ranked skill. At the same time, virtualization technologies is the lowest ranked skill...

I'm pretty sure there's a better method to align these red bars with the text - instead of my "ugly solution" where I manually have to position each red bar correctly... I appreciate any good ideas/feedback/suggestion, thanks and I hope you have time to look into the attachments!

CGood

An ugly hack: Do a text box with only your category text. Copy that and drag to next door and set the background color to red (or whatever you wish). Expand or contract your skill bars as desired. Finally set text color in skill bars to none or to match the background.

I hope my attached pdf helps make my poor explanation useful. It is a very limited hack, but it takes care of alignment but at the cost of other flexibility. I believe you will find that a second space between lines is needed to separate the colored bars.

CGood

Another possibility would be to use align and distribute to space the colored bars if they were created as separate objects - just aligh the top and bottom bars then fix the spacing in between with the distribute tool. I think that would work?

That would / should allow you more flexibility in all aspects. I have not tested it...

GarryP

Just a quick question: unoder, have you tried using an "Em Dash"?

You can easily add a tab to the frame using the tabulator, then insert em-dashes after the tab to create a line.

If you want the line to be thicker then select the em-dashes and give them an outline. Make the outline as big as you need it and set the outline colour to whatever colour you need.

Doing it this way means that you only need to remove and add em-dashes when you need to make the line shorter or longer.

See my quick example attached.

unoder

CGood and GarryP: I think all your suggestions/ideas works really well, thank you very much (and thanks for showing several options, to learn from)! I think I'll end up with the last idea from GarryP with em-dashes, this seems like the easiest and most straight-forward method. But thanks a lot to both of you, for your help!