Author Topic: Scribus Webpage  (Read 1642 times)

GarryP

• Scribus User
Re: Scribus Webpage
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2017, 12:03:19 pm »
Thanks for the extra feedback a.l.e.

You've made some very valid points.

As for the dark theme, that's one of those things that is totally subjective. Some people like dark while others like light. Sometimes it depends on the subject matter but, personally, I think the dark theme looks better for Scribus because it helps as a contrast to the images. I don't think it would be a huge amount of work to change it but I think it can be left as it currently is unless a lot of people have a major problem with it.

Can you explain what you mean about a "download icon" please? (A link to a site that shows what you mean would help.) Do you just mean adding one of those "down arrow" icons to the button as can be seen on the GIMP home page, or something else?

I agree that the image under the "About Scribus" could do with some work. It needs to be something that shows Scribus in action but I agree that the grid should not be shown. If anyone has a really good screenshot, of Scribus being used to make something nice, we can look at using that instead. (And yes, the name of the file should probably change too.)

I agree that the Arrange Pages dialog is not the best one to show for that section. Maybe a combination of Align/Distribute with the Layers dialog would be better. It needs to be looked at.

A quick look at  (link removed) shows that people have posted something in most of the forums this year. Can it really be that "dead"?

I agree that the link to the IRC would be a useful addition.

The financial donation button can be easily removed. It can be added later if necessary.

I've created GitHub issues for the relevant topics above.

P.S. You mentioned that it's about the small details now and I totally agree. We need to make sure that the site looks great and works really well. If the site has problems then people will think that the application has problems. I.e. "If they can't be bothered to get the site right then what does that say about the software?"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:18:57 pm by a.l.e »

a.l.e

• Global Moderator
    • the graphics lab
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 12:32:43 pm »
Can you explain what you mean about a "download icon" please? (A link to a site that shows what you mean would help.) Do you just mean adding one of those "down arrow" icons to the button as can be seen on the GIMP home page, or something else?

yes, that down arrow. mostly, it's in a circle. or in a cloud.

both inkscape and gimp have one on their home page : - )

utnik

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 12:57:46 pm »
hi garry
A quick look at link removed/ shows that people have posted something in most of the forums this year.

but take a look at them → almost no answers…
…Can it really be that "dead"?

yes, it is.
…and this has historical reasons:
the once active forum died by spam attacks (without an active administrator). then someone took over, but with the same problem – the forum is an orphane…

there was an effort to save it, but the new owner didn't cooperate in any way – so the active members moved on to the new forum under scribus-user.de.

the problem is that scribus newbies run against a wall by asking questions on a dead place. (and if someone links to the new forum, he gets banned a couple of weeks later – so there is some administration, but not enough to clean spam attacks in time…)

– for the benefit of the scribus project we should finally shut down the heart and lung machines and let it really die…

utnik
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:18:30 pm by a.l.e »

GarryP

• Scribus User
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2017, 02:35:39 pm »
Thanks for the clarification a.l.e. I've added an icon as suggested. If you want a different one then I'll have to go looking at the documentation.

Thanks for the info utnik. I've commented out the link. I didn't remove it completely in case the site came back to life. It can be permanently removed later (if necessary).

a.l.e

• Global Moderator
    • the graphics lab
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 04:32:48 pm »
i've removed all references to the other german speaking forum from this thread.

that forum has the perfect name for google and is very high referenced.
after a couple of years, that forum is still first in the google results for the most relevant search terms and we should try not boost it further by publishing links to it.

sadly, as utnik says, the admins of that forum being too passiv (and it seems to be impossible to get in touch with them) and all the people who were giving answers in there migrated to the newly created forum.
the problem is that people still ask questions and do not get any answer.
that's sad for scribus.