Print an A5 flyer two times in an A4 sheet

Previous topic - Next topic

mgiammarco

Hello,
it is embarassing but I am not able to do a very simple thing.

I have made a flyer in a5 portrait format.

I need to send it to my press office as an A4 format with two copies of the flyer in landscape format inside the A4 sheet.

It is a common thing but I am not able to do it with scribus ng.

Can someone help me?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Mario

Nermander

Search the forum or the wiki for "imposition" and you will ge a lot of ideas of how it can be done. If you just want to make it "2-up" I would use Multivalent.

a.l.e

ciao mario,

if you have only one layer:

- create your flyer as A5.

- when you're finished, copy all elements, create an A4 landscape document, paste two times the content, place it correctly and generate the pdf...

otherwise:
- create your flyer as A5
- export it to pdf
- create an A4 landscape document with 0cm margins
- page > rown and columns > manage guides and create 1 column guide
- insert two image frames
- load the pdf in each frame
- export to pdf by using the experimental PDF embedding feature

nermanders' hint to use multivalent is also very good...

mgiammarco

Ok I have found the right documentation.

But my problem is more complex.

If I have an A4 page it is easy for me to print it two times telling the print driver to do 2up so I make 2 a5 prints in a single a4 sheet.

Unfortunately my starting page is already A5 and it is portrait.

Any additional hints?

Anyway I continue to try,

Mario

utnik

did you read the post from a.l.e ??? – it's exactly what you need...

mgiammarco

Quote from: utnik on September 27, 2011, 01:15:20 AM
did you read the post from a.l.e ??? – it's exactly what you need...

When I replied the post from a.l.e. was not here (?!?!?)

mgiammarco

Quote from: a.l.e on September 26, 2011, 01:43:46 PM
ciao mario,

if you have only one layer:

- create your flyer as A5.

- when you're finished, copy all elements, create an A4 landscape document, paste two times the content, place it correctly and generate the pdf...

nermanders' hint to use multivalent is also very good...

Thanks for your reply I will follow first suggestion. I have read multivalent and it seems to me similar to a lot of software I already use for linux like psutils (psnup). But these utils are "easy" to use is you start from an A4 sheet and you want to have it reduced to two a5 images.

Anyway I hoped that a specific software like scribus can offer a more "automatized" way to do a thing like this.

Anyway.... Thanks you very much!!!

a.l.e

ciao mario,

if you already know the psutils you can probably use pnup to place 2 copies of the same A5 document into an A4 document.

and about scribus implementing this feature. yes, this could be possible. the problem is that the wishes on this topic (spread / imposition) are so various that it would really help, if somebody would start a good project implementing them.

adding them into scribus will only make scribus even more difficult to maintain and debug! and the features even harder to find and configre...

and there was somebody who started working on this, but no real product came out of it... until now! (cf. podofo imposer)

ciao
a.l.e

Nermander

Quote from: mgiammarco on September 27, 2011, 10:59:24 AM
Thanks for your reply I will follow first suggestion. I have read multivalent and it seems to me similar to a lot of software I already use for linux like psutils (psnup). But these utils are "easy" to use is you start from an  4 sheet and you want to have it reduced to two a5 images.

Most of those tools will NOT shrink the page if you don't tell them to or if it is not necessary.

So, if you tell Multivalent you want your A5 document 2-up on an A4 sheet you will get what you want. Because Multivalent will recognize that the page will fit into the designated space.