problem aligning baseline of text in different frames, based on text content

Previous topic - Next topic

harinezumi

Hello,
Sorry for my bad english. Please see the attachment for better understanding. I could'n guess how to title the post, or search the forum so it's maybe ben already discussed.
I wonder if it is a correct behaviour that the text in a text frame automatically snaps to the top, changing the position of the baseline if the text has ascenders or caps or not.
I know that I can change this if I set the interline height to snap to the baseline, but I consider that a workaround, that doesn't work when you have different text height in the same page.
I really think the baseline position should be fixed in the frame (wethever text I write - please see attachment).
If you plan a layout then you place the text yuo may hav unexpected result based on the content.
Is that the wanted standard behaviour? Is there any way to fix it? I really consider this a bug.
Thank you

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

The first line offset kan be set to different settings:

- Maximum ascent
- Font ascent
- Line spacing
(In 1.5.2 I see there's also Baseline grid)

I think that's where your problem is (but I think there has also been some bugs with first line offset).

harinezumi

Thank you,
that was what I wanted.
I was looking for such a command in the paragraph style and I didn't noticed it in the text properties.

utnik

hi harinezumi

for me the baseline grid is the standard, not a workaround. usually i work with paragraph styles and most of them are aligned to the baseline grid.

but the standard setting in scribus is something i almost never use (no baseline grid and the placement of the first line depends on the characters used in this line.)
maybe i wouldn't call it a bug, but it's at least bad behaviour. the only use case for this setting i can think of is a free form text frame used as a graphical element.
unfortunately the first line offset can't even be defined in the standard settings of the text tool or in the settings for a specific paragraph style.

@nermander
the baseline grid is there at least since scribus1.2.

utnik

Nermander

I meant setting first line offset to Baseline grid. It was not present when I looked in 1.4.5.

harinezumi

Thank you all,
I think that maybe the alignement that Nermander pointed out should be part of the style, not only a specific option af the single occurance.
utnik, I agree but when using diffrent size font it may be usefull also a "local" baseline grid - specific for the frame/frames and not necessarly matching the page's one.

utnik

Quote from: harinezumi on November 25, 2016, 11:30:53 AM...but when using diffrent size font it may be usefull also a "local" baseline grid...

for this i set a fixed linespacing as part of the paragraph style.

btw: the strange standard for the first line will be gone with the next scribus versions (scribus1.5.2 is clear of it – and i didn't miss it so far...)

utnik