PDF output changed through the versions?

Previous topic - Next topic

JAMMANICA

Hi, I have been using Scribus for 5 years now producing one high quality monthly calendar per year with little issues.

Always the same, I create 11.25 X 8.75 images in Gimp at 300DPI, save them as .png

Insert image frame on a blank 11.25 X 8.75 scribus page, get image, shazam it is there and lovely. Every year the same.

For the 2015 I used Scribus 1.4.1, I exported PDF for printer, it looked great and printed perfect. I don't do my own printing I use PSprint.

For 2016 I used Scribus 1.4.3, same output, printed a little dark so I lightened it up and it looked great but something changed because it printed dark.

This year I just finished it in Scribus 1.4.6, same output, and it looks washed out almost bleached. So I went back and pulled my .sla from the 2016 project, output PDF for printer... it looks washed out too with 1.4.6 compared to the 1.4.3 output. Also noticed the 1.4.6 output was only about 105M and the 1.4.3 output was almost double size bit wise.

So I still have the laptop with 1.4.3 and will just use that unless someone knows of a way to dance around this or to specifically load 1.4.3 in Ubuntu replacing 1.4.6.

Sorry for a long first post but I couldn't find anything specific to what I have noticed.

JAMMANICA

OOPS need to add the RGB screen/web output looks awesome but I bet PSprint calls me the first day and says "hey, hows about a cmyk version".

utnik

hi jammanica

it might not be a scribus problem at all.
i assume something like a change in the color management settings (i. e. different profiles...)

utnik

JAMMANICA

OK Thank you I will start by comparing the color management settings in my 1.4.3 version on laptop A to the settings on my 1.4.6 version on laptop B.

mnawij

Jammanica,

Did you use the same printshop every year?  Every printshop is different with which color profile they use in their workflow, it can even vary from press to press, or if it is printed offset or digital.  It could be a different/newer RIP (raster image processor), each one uses a generic profile unless modified by the user.  Also it could be the various printing components from the ink/fountain solution/water, metal plates vs. direct/poly plates, operator running the ink light or heavy or to much of one of the CMY inks or not enough black.  I agree with utnik it might not be scribus at all with so many other variables in play in the printing process.  Did you get a printed proof or just a digital proof to verify before the job went to print?  I would always recommend a printed one or even a press check if the printshop is willing to do it for you.

Regards,

mnawij

JAMMANICA

Thanks for the reply mnawij, it is offset printing but the problem I saw was generating the PDF from scribus 1.4.6 as opposed to 1.4.3.

I haven't checked the settings yet, I needed to get it to the printer. So I simply took the SLA file and the 3 images folders I used, put it on the other laptop with version 1.4.3 and spit out a perfect looking PDF in CMYK (printer output).

I'll try to attach a picture, if it works the one on the left was with version 1.4.6 and the one on the right was 1.4.3. It really looked that washed out when opening it with acro reader.

[attachment deleted by admin]

mnawij

Jammanica, might take me a week to get around to it but if you upload the .sla file and the image files I will make a .pdf file on my 1.4.6 (I do not have 1.4.3) and check the results if you would like and print a copy on my digital press.

mnawij