Page Numbers Exporting as "?"

Previous topic - Next topic

dvlstx

I am in the middle of compiling a book, and I have created master pages.  Some of those master pages have page numbers, and some do not.  However, when I am exporting my scribus document, the page numbers are exporting as question marks on most of the pages. 

Does anyone have any ideas. 

All of my text is in one text region, and i am placing photos on top of that region where needed. 

I am exporting as PDF /X-1a for publishing purposes.

i am running Scribus 1.5.2

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

That looks like a font/character encoding issue.

a.l.e

the bug has probably been fixed after the release of 1.5.2 and is probably related to otf fonts...

so

- use 1.5.3 (at your own risk) or
- use a ttf font

ciao
a.l.e

p.s.: you can use multiple versions in parallel. as an example doing your work with 1.5.2 and producing the pdf with 1.5.3 (just don't save after exporting).

dvlstx

Please help me understand what are OTF Fonts and TTF Fonts

Because this is a page number I have no problems trying to change fonts first. 

dvlstx

Also, Because I do not see 1.5.3 available to download.  If i have created the file in 1.5.2, can I use 1.4.6 to export to PDF?

dvlstx

It looks like I was able to get this done using Times New Roman

a.l.e

- no, you cannot use 1.4.6 to export to pdf a file created with 1.5.
- OTF fonts are more modern and more complex fonts than TTF. they have not been well supported for a long time, but they start now to be everywhere. you will have to read on wikipedia (or you're preferred place in the internets) to know more about it, though...
- 1.5.3svn can be downloaded from sourceforge as svn snapshot. or you can compile it from svn/git. or you can get it through home brew (depending on the platform).

since you got what you wanted (page numbers!), i guess that i leave it at the short explanation in this post...

RobSay

Found this topic whilst searching for a solution to the same numbering issue on 1.4.6 - my solution is a little more precise and may help others:

TL,DR: Use Style Manager to manage your styles, avoid any manual styling of frames for page numbers.

Creating a book with front matter + content + back matter and differing numbering schemes - my front matter numbering was producing exclamation and question marks, Here's the setup:

Document:

SectionContentPage rangeNumberingMaster PageParagraph StyleConverted PDF Output
AFront Matterp1-p4No numbersFront MatterContent Footerleft aligned exclamation
BFront Matterp5-p10roman: v,vi,vii .. Front MatterContent Footercenter aligned - exclamation marks in out: '!,!I,!II, ...'
CNormalp5-p10numeric: 1,2,3 .. Normal Left & RightContent Footercenter aligned numbers

• Numbering sections - one covering A & B starting at 5 and one for C.
  • Style: Content Footer - EB Garamond 12 Regular @ 10pt size, All Caps (I was using the same style for header & footer throughout).
Everything displayed fine in Scribus. It was only on export that the problem occurred.

I'd edited the style and switched to using EB Garamond 8 Regular @ 10pt size - because the floral decoration glyph was different between the two. At some stage I had manually edited the style on the footer frame in the front matter page - it was using the '12 Regular' style - overriding the paragraph character style. As soon as I re-applied the Content Footer style to the frame on the 'Front Matter' Master Page - the problem disappeared, A was blank, B was roman numerals. Manual editing of the frame style on the front matter causes the output to revert to the problem characters.