"Get Text" causes previous chapter margins to shift right

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkPaulson

Hi again. I've been slowly working through my book, importing a chapter, typesetting it, then moving to the next chapter. I've hit a snag trying to import the most recent chapter. I go to the page I want to start my next chapter on, unlink the previous page's frame, right click and select 'Get Text', then import the ODT file.

Only now it shifts the text of the previous chapter to the right. After importing the new chapter, the previous chapter's margins are now more than halfway across every page! This is driving me nuts! I've tried every kind of unlinking combination I can think of for the past hour, but I can't get a clean import.

If anyone can help me I'll be very appreciative!

Nermander

How is the margin moved? I can think of several ways:

- Frames are moved
- Frames' text distances changed
- Paragraph indent is changed

The only one of these that should possibly be changed by Get text is the last one, of import is set to create styles I think maybe imported style overwrites the current style.

a.l.e

hi,

do you have files (.sla and .odt) that can help us reproduce the issue?

we need a .sla file that is correct and an .odt file that when gets loaded into scribus leads to the aberration.

i've already heard of one similar case, but we did not have exact steps to reproduce it.

may i also ask you which version of scribus you are using?

MarkPaulson

Thank you both for your replies! I would have responded earlier, but I have not been online.

Quote from: Nermander on September 30, 2016, 08:20:42 AM
How is the margin moved? I can think of several ways:

- Frames are moved
- Frames' text distances changed
- Paragraph indent is changed

The only one of these that should possibly be changed by Get text is the last one, of import is set to create styles I think maybe imported style overwrites the current style.

You're right; it's the paragraph indent that changed. Every line starts at a bit more than halfway across each page. I have no idea why, though.

I tried importing with the box for Merge Paragraph Styles unchecked, but I lost all my formatting during the import. However, it did allow for import without screwing up the formatting of the previous chapter.

Quote from: a.l.e on September 30, 2016, 10:12:06 AM
hi,

do you have files (.sla and .odt) that can help us reproduce the issue?

we need a .sla file that is correct and an .odt file that when gets loaded into scribus leads to the aberration.

i've already heard of one similar case, but we did not have exact steps to reproduce it.

may i also ask you which version of scribus you are using?

I am using Scribus 1.4.6 on a Macbook running OS X 10.11.6.

I've actually found a work-around, although I have no idea if I'm doing it a good way or not.

I had mentioned in another thread here that Scribus was creating new paragraph styles for every page of my book after import. I turned that off for one chapter, but it created the problem I describe in this thread.

Then I removed that chapter and reimported it using Get Text, this time checking the box for 'Use document name as a prefix for paragraph styles'. And everything is working fine again. No idea what I'm doing, but the problem seems to have been resolved.