Dashes too thick in Palatino

Previous topic - Next topic

Friend

Hey

Can anyone help? Why is it that when I make a document in Palatino the dash comes out thicker than the rest of the text? I use Windows 10.
Thanks.
Birgitte

mnawij

Hi, is this looking at the display on the screen or is it there also when you print it out?  Did you also type the same font/size into a word processor to compare if it is actually a font problem or if that is the font design?

mnawij

Friend

Hi

Thank you for your reply. Well, they don't look too thick when I copy text unto Word. But I have attached a PDF-text to show you what I mean.
Thanks
Birgitte

[attachment deleted by admin]

mnawij

This is my Palatino Font within Adobe Illustrator, as you can see the dash is the same thickness, I colored mine orange. I believe it is correct.
Microsoft might be modifying the font file somehow or replacing your type object with their own, that happens from time to time, especially if you get your elongated dash (en dash, em dash, I can never remember which is which) from typing two hyphens and autocorrect option is on.  I hope this helps.

mnawij

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

Quote from: Friend on September 21, 2016, 04:49:56 PM
Thank you for your reply. Well, they don't look too thick when I copy text unto Word. But I have attached a PDF-text to show you what I mean.

When I look at your PDF with Acrobat, the thickness of the dash seems to change when I zoom in.

I think maybe the font contains hinting information to make it thicker when zoomed out. If my assumption is correct, the dash will look correct when printed, but will look thicker on screen when zoomed out.