Need help with black frames around pictures and text

Previous topic - Next topic

Yolandi

Hello,

I just registered because I searched on google for this, but only ended up finding tutorials about decorating pictures with frames. I never wanted frames and in between I am running out of time with finishing the document.
My issue is, whenever I add a picture or text to my document, it comes with the black line around it. I tried to play with the settings to remove this line but it never stayed away. How can I get frameless pictures and text fields in scribus?

(Sorry for the possibly made writing mistakes. I am not a native speaker of English.)

xxx

GarryP

Welcome to the forum Yolandi.

Could you attach a screenshot showing the problem please?

This could be one of a number of things so it is best if we can see what it is to be able to diagnose what is happening.

Also, can you say which OS and version of Scribus you are using?

Yolandi

Hey,

thank you :) I will try to send an image.
The OS I'm running is windows 7 64bit. The version of scribus is 1.5.2. If the picture works, this is what I mean. When I try adding a text field or picture, it comes with this black lines and I don't want them to be there.

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

The first thing you can check is in "Preferences / Tools / Text Frame" - Make sure Stroke Colour = "None". If you make a change in Preferences you will need to restart Scribus to see the effect in future documents. You can check the same thing in "Document Setup / Tools / Text Frame" too but that's just for the current document. (This doesn't affect Image Frames.)

The next thing to check is to make sure you haven't applied a Line Style to the frames by accident. Select a frame then go to "Properties Palette / Line" and make sure "No Style" is set.

With the frame still selected then check the line colour is set to "None" in "Properties Palette / Colours / Line Colour (the brush icon)".

Then you can try looking at the "View -> Show Frames" menu option. If it is checked then select it and see if the outlines go away. If they do go away then there's something weird about how the frame outlines show because they're supposed to be grey instead of black.

If the black outlines are still there then try going into Preview Mode (the eye icon near the bottom right of the main window). If the black outlines go away then it's probably an issue with how the frames are drawn rather than a property of the frames themselves.

As you're using 1.5.2 I can't really help you much more as I don't have the version you're running. The 1.5.x series are developmental versions that should - in my opinion - only be used by people testing new features. Currently 1.4.6 is the stable version that most people should be using. Developmental versions can have strange bugs in them that can be very difficult to track down, or it may be a new "feature" that someone has added for some reason.

Unless you absolutely need to use one of the features in 1.5.2 I would thoroughly recommend using 1.4.6 instead.

P.S. Are the black outlines still there when you create a PDF?

Yolandi

The things you told me seem to work! Seems I can finish and print out my final paper today. This really saved me.
Thank you so much for your help and for your quick replies! :)

GarryP