Scribus from GIT won't build on Fedora 23

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenPUlrick

Hello, Everyone
I know that I don't HAVE to get Scribus this way, so, here goes...

When I attempt to compile Scribus from GIT on Fedora 23, it bails with this message:
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148 (message):
  Could NOT find PythonLibs (missing: PYTHON_LIBRARIES PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIRS)
  (Required is at least version "2")
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:388 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPythonLibs.cmake:264 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  CMakeLists.txt:550 (FIND_PACKAGE)

Among many other Python packages, I have the following installed:
python-2.7.11-10.fc23.x86_64
python-devel-2.7.11-10.fc23.x86_64

So, I can't figure out what I am missing.

Thank you,
Steven P. Ulrick

a.l.e

i guess that fedora is a rather new version of fedora, and you should have a new enough version of python 2.

question: do you have also python3 and it's the default version on your system?

on my debian testin, i have no issue in compiling the scribus code, but the default python interpreter is the 2.7 one...

StevenPUlrick

Quote from: a.l.e on September 10, 2016, 10:27:34 AM
i guess that fedora is a rather new version of fedora, and you should have a new enough version of python 2.

on my debian testin, i have no issue in compiling the scribus code, but the default python interpreter is the 2.7 one...

I have the following python3 RPM's installed:
python3-3.4.3-12.fc23.x86_64
python3-devel-3.4.3-12.fc23.x86_64

StevenPUlrick

Quote from: StevenPUlrick on September 10, 2016, 11:25:05 AM
Quote from: a.l.e on September 10, 2016, 10:27:34 AM

I have the following python3 RPM's installed:
python3-3.4.3-12.fc23.x86_64
python3-devel-3.4.3-12.fc23.x86_64

Also:
[steve@afolkey2 ~]$ which python
/usr/bin/python
[steve@afolkey2 ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/python
python-2.7.11-10.fc23.x86_64

a.l.e

some links in the internet seem to tell that you need python-dev...

but i wonder if you don't need libpython and libpython-dev... if they are packaged separately in fedora...

StevenPUlrick

Quote from: a.l.e on September 10, 2016, 03:20:27 PM
some links in the internet seem to tell that you need python-dev...

but i wonder if you don't need libpython and libpython-dev... if they are packaged separately in fedora...

In Fedora, python-dev is called python-devel.  In previous messages on this thread, I showed which versions of python2 and python3 that I have installed.  I also showed that I do have the appropriate "-devel" rpm's installed.
Also, libpython and libpython-devel are not packaged separately in Fedora.  But, Fedora does have python-libs and python3-libs.  I have both of those installed as well.

One other thing I forgot to mention.  I can rebuild a source RPM of Scribus with no problem.  I can even compile and install Scribus from a source tarball.  No problems.  BUT, I cannot even finish cmake if I am building from GIT...
If I try to run cmake from a source tarball of Scribus 1.5.2, I get the following message about Python:
Python Library Found OK

But, if I run "cmake .." from a build directory directly inside of the root of Scribus from GIT, I get the following:
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148 (message):
  Could NOT find PythonLibs (missing: PYTHON_LIBRARIES PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIRS)
  (Required is at least version "2")
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:388 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPythonLibs.cmake:264 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  CMakeLists.txt:550 (FIND_PACKAGE)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules/s/scribus/Scribus/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

For some reason, the SRPM of Scribus and the source tarball of Scribus have no problem detecting that I have an appropriate version of Python installed.  But, during the same test, Scribus from GIT has issues...

a.l.e

now that you keep on repeating that you get scribus from git...

where do you get scribus from?

is it this one?

https://github.com/scribusproject/scribus

i've made a fresh git pull of the above git repository and  cmake i did not have any issue.

can i suggest you that you remove all the files you got from github and start over and follow this how to?

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-manual-development/blob/master/content/getting-started/getting-started.md

StevenPUlrick

Quote from: a.l.e on September 11, 2016, 11:58:20 AM
now that you keep on repeating that you get scribus from git...

where do you get scribus from?

is it this one?

https://github.com/scribusproject/scribus

i've made a fresh git pull of the above git repository and  cmake i did not have any issue.

can i suggest you that you remove all the files you got from github and start over and follow this how to?

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-manual-development/blob/master/content/getting-started/getting-started.md

No, I got it from this one:
git://git.scribus.net/scribus.git

I got that link from this page:
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Git#Using_Scribus_Git_Repositories

What happened is I went right to the section named "Using Scribus Git Repositories"  Next, I did not read this: "WARNING : Examples given are for historical "contributors" repos. Adresses are OUT OF DATE. See elsewhere in page for uptodate urls."  THEN I discovered this section at the very top of the page: "New summer 2014 Github repository !"  Which, of course, contains the link that you gave me.

Scribus, from this repo, detects Python correctly on my system, and it is just about done building right now...

Thank you for you help and your patience!
Steven P. Ulrick

a.l.e