Export; Save As Image yeilds Blank File

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyET

Hi Folks,
Numerous attempts to "File/Export/Save As Image" results in a blank file.  With exception of pdf, file type (jpg, tif, bmp, etc) does not matter, all are blank.  Yes, I do make sure all layers are selected for visible, and for print.  Creating a new file and populating with basic shape graphic works fine.  Is there a cap regarding number of layers, file size, or piece content outside of print area, perhaps?  Have tried different but similar files, and ran into same problem (so I don't think my file is corrupt). 
Thank  you for any suggestions!
Randy

a.l.e

i am a minimalist.

i've tried to convince the team that scribus should only export to pdf. and let other external tools do the conversion to other formats.

in vain.

so, it's (still) there and you're welcome to use it.
but -- if you have trouble with exporting to an image -- just export to pdf.
there are more than enough tools for batch converting pdfs to any image formats!

GarryP

Randy, I use the "Export to Image" function quite often and it's never let me down (except where the Mac version can't export to JPG but that's a different issue).

Would it be possible for you to attach a document that produces a blank image after export? (Use "Collect For Output" and attach the ZIPped folder.)

Without being able to see the document itself it's very difficult to know what's wrong as there are so many variables.

Also, can you say which version of Scribus you're using and on which OS please?

RandyET

Hi GarryP!
Thanks for getting back to me!  Figured out how to attach file...
Scribus version is 1.4.6
Thanks!
Randy

GarryP

Thanks for uploading the documents Randy.

I extracted each and exported as both PNG and JPG and they both worked fine - as far as I can tell - with Scribus 1.4.6 on Win 10 (attached is the JPG version of "Not Flat"). [Edit: Attachment removed by request of OP.]

That's probably not what you wanted to hear.

Both of the documents look fine and I can't see anything weird that would stop you from exporting from them.

I'm starting to run out of suggestions.

Have you tried opening the "collected for output" version and exporting from that? It could be that the collection process has somehow "cleaned" the document. (I wouldn't like to guess how though.)

If that doesn't work, have a look in "File -> Preferences" and then go to the "Plugins" section. Somewhere near the bottom of the list there should be an "Export as Image" item. The Plugin ID for this item should be scribusexportpixmap and the file should be C:/Program Files/Scribus 1.4.6/plugins//scribusexportpixmap.dll Is this how it is for you? If not then you might need to re-install Scribus (it's an easier fix than messing around).

If it's still not working then try right-clicking the exported image file and choosing "Open With -> Photos". Does this make a difference? If this works then whatever you're using to view the bitmap may be at fault.

I'm clutching at straws now. I just can't seem to make it not work for me. I'll keep it tumbling through the back of my mind just in case something pops up though.

RandyET

Hello Again GerryP!

Thanks very much for all of your effort and support.  I appreciate your hard work!  Good news, though!

After some more fiddling around, I and our tech support guy figured out what appears to be the problem, at least on my PC.  It turns out that it's a matter of resolution and/or image "Size," as specified as a percentage on the Export as Image tool.  I was pushing for 600dpi exports, at 100% Size, and apparently my installation of Scribus can't handle such high resolution at that size.  After much experimenting, and keeping the size not a single point over 100%, we found that the maximum functional threshold to be 569dpi.  Tipping the dpi to one more and going to 570dpi causes a blank file image to be exported.  On my file, that equates to 10260 x 6840px.  Similarly, increasing the Size to be 101%, at 569dpi, also causes a blank file to be exported.

We also tried exporting in several different formats and found the exact same issue, with the threshold still at 569 to 570dpi, still at 100% size.  Further, we then also created a fresh, new file with a simple graphic, a rectangle, on a single layer.  Exporting to Image showed the same results, with the tipping point again being 569 to 570dpi, again still at 100% size.

Adjusting the Size parameter alone, however, on the new file, I was able to increase the size up to 183% and still be able to export a good image. When I pushed the Size to 184%, at 569dpi, it was too much and a blank file was exported.

Not sure what this means to the folks at Scribus, whether it's an issue with my particular installation of it, or an issue with Scribus itself, or simply a matter of documentation advising the user to "do not do this." 

In any case, it appears to be a resolution/size issue. 

Thanks again for all of your help!
Randy

Nermander

Those numbers indicate a 70 megapixel image? What are you intenting to print??

It is most likely a matter of the PDF viewer running out of memory.