Another beginner question: getting text in a frame to flow around something else

Previous topic - Next topic

Apeloverage

How do I put a picture above a text frame and have the text flow around the picture?

Similarly, how do I put a second text frame above the first, and have the text in the first frame flow around the second?

Laser

Hi Apeloverage!

In the tab Form of the Properties Palette you find different boxes - you can change them with Edit.

Regards
Laser

GarryP

I think this subject needs a decent tutorial writing for it. I thought there was one in the Wiki but I can't find anything good.

Here's the basic technique:
* Draw your text frame and put your text in it;
* Draw your image frame and put an image in it (or you can use whatever other object you want);
* Make sure that your image frame is at a higher level (or on a higher layer) than the text frame (text only flows around stuff that is "above" it.);
* Select the image frame and go to Properties Palette;
* Choose the "Shape" tab (or the "Group" tab if your image is in a group);
* Select one of the Text Flow options, Contour Line is best (for reasons I won't go into here);
* Move the image frame around to place it where you want.

If the text is too near the image then:
* Select the image frame and go to Properties Palette;
* Choose the "Shape" tab (or the "Group" tab if your image is in a group);
* Press the "Edit..." button;
* Check the "Edit Contour Line" box in the Node Editor dialog that has just popped up (very important as you're flowing around the Contour Line);
* Adjust the nodes as appropriate for what you want to do;
* When finished, press the "End Editing" button in the Node Editor dialog.

And that's it. If you're not happy with the flow then move the frame or re-edit the contour line.

Once you've mastered the technique above you might like to look at something a bit more powerful like this: https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_Isolate_an_image_and_create_a_clipping_path_for_text_flow

Laser

Now I found the tutorial - it's in the manual!
Help - Scribus Manual - Editing shapes.

And for sure Shape, not Form - switching between English and German drives you crazy^^

Rgds

GarryP

Laser, thanks for posting about the piece in the manual that relates to this but I still think a good tutorial needs to be made.

What I could find in the Wiki isn't really usable for beginners and what's in the manual just skims over the subject.

This is a very important technique that anyone who wants to do DTP properly needs to be comfortable with.

I'll have a think about what can be done about it.